Monoprice.com: Good online retailer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HarryWarden, Jul 26, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I saw an item on Monoprice that interested me but I'm always skeptical when buying from an online retailer that I've never used before. I usually stick with Amazon for most things but the prices on Monoprice are very good; I'm tempted.

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I buy mainly cables from them. On occasions shipping us a little slow but I get what I ordered. Good source for long length lightning cables.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Monoprice.com: Good online retailer?

I've done a lot of business with them over the years. They're a solid, stand-up outfit.

5. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Not good, great! You can place them in your upper pantheon of online retailers.

7. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

8. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

9. frankdogg macrumors 6502

frankdogg

If you are in CA (not sure about Norcal) but within SoCal its overnight shipping. That's a plus.

10. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

You have your answer already but I'll chime in anyway: I've ordered quite a few things from them over the past few years and haven't had a negative experience yet.

11. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I've made several purchases from them and I've always been very happy with my purchases.

The only problem would be that I always end up buying more than I need. The reason is that their cables are so inexpensive that the only way I can justify the shipping is by buying several things at once. (By the way, the shipping charges are very reasonable.)

As an FYI, some of their cables are very beefy. I'm sure they do this in order to make sure that they last. But if you are looking for thin, sexy cables, you should probably consider looking someplace else.

If you are looking for a good, solid cable at a great price, I definitely recommend Monoprice.com.

12. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Agreed. Shipping to Canada eats into the savings a bit, but the components have all been of excellent quality.

A number of people in my office have switched from Wacom graphic tablets to Monoprice ones and have been very happy with the decision. I find the Mini Displayport adaptors they make to be great quality and excellent value.

13. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I've ordered from them for years and can recommend them... I got an iPhone battery that didn't work once, and they were excellent with the return process as well.

14. Rayd5365 macrumors member

I have bought from them for years and they've been a great retailer.

I will say that I've had trouble with both 30 pin dock connector cables and lightning cables.

I bought several 10 foot dock cables and the 30-in end connectors fell apart. They shipped me replacements immediately when I contacted them about it, but they also fell apart. I believe they have since changed the design completely. Since it's a lifetime guarantee on all cables, I just need to take the time to call them and exchange again.

To get the exchange, all I had to do was call and then e-mail pictures of the f broken cables. Did not have to ship the bad ones back.

I also bough one 10 foot lightning cable, and it has come apart on the lightning end as well. The cable jacket has separated at the lighting end exposing the wires. They will replace this too I'm sure if I just get around to calling them.

I have bought dozens of other cables(HDMI, ethernet, audio, etc.) over the years and had no trouble with them at all.

15. Yvan256 macrumors 601

I know I'm just repeating what the others already said, but I've ordered a lot of cables from them over the years and the ones that broke were replaced for free, including shipping, without any questions asked.

16. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Yeah I love MonoPrice, if there is an issue they will fix it.

17. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

great actually just today i got cables from them

cheap,great quality

great customer service !

18. Pitmaster macrumors member

Haven't bought cables, splitters or mounts from anyone else in years.

19. sjinsjca, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Good group.

The Lightning cables I got from them are too stiff, though. They lack strain relief too. The combination means they fail too soon. Unless something has changed I'd stick with Amazon Basics for Lightning stuff.