MonoPrice eSATA card for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by benborman, Jan 1, 2010.

1. benborman macrumors member

I'm looking at this card: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1040702&p_id=3581&seq=1&format=2&style=

Hoping to pick one up when they come back in stock. According to the customer reviews, it works no problem in different Mac Pro models, with the latest Silicon Image firmware. Obviously, the price cannot be beat!

I will be using this with a 2TB WD MyBook Studio Edition II in RAID 0 mode. I am currently using this drive via FireWire 800 for Video Editing in FCP, and am looking for faster speeds.

Will this configuration work for me, or do I need an eSATA card that has RAID capabilities?

Any explanation to the difference in eSATA card types would be appreciated!

2. rtrt, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. nanofrog macrumors G4

That would be Transporteur (thread). If I'm understanding what's happened, it worked, but now it's not. Something strange is happened, and I'm not sure what.

At first, those cards wouldn't work with SL or '09 MP's. Then Silicon Image created a set of Beta drivers for SL that returned functionality. So I don't know if they've hit a snag with a newer version of SL, or if there's a bad/missing file in the system, or even a defective unit causing the problem.

There's a few other cards, which are 4 port versions, but they're are substantially more expensive (~$200USD for a Firmtek 4 port PCIe card). Ouch.