Monoprice external SSDs -- any opinions or reviews?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sjinsjca, Aug 16, 2014.

1. sjinsjca, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Monoprice, a fantastic source of computer stuff, now has bus-powered Thunderbolt SSDs at good prices. Ideal for road warriors with Thunderbolt-equipped laptops!

Their name for these is "Neutrino" and if you search their site, two models currently come up: 120GB and 256GB.

The internal SSDs are SanDisk and appear to have impressive specs.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130705&p_id=10995&seq=1&format=2 for example.

The only disappointment for me is that they don't support daisy-chaining. (But then, external USB drives don't either.) Otherwise this would seem ideal for my usage (externally-stored virtual machines).

...Any opinions or reviews?

UPDATE: As with some other Monoprice Thunderbolt hardware, this is manufactured by Akitio. Here's one review: http://www.computershopper.com/stor...ino-thunderbolt-edition-120gb/#product-review ...and another by a Macrumors forum member: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1747114

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Another disappointment is that they are using SanDisk drives :(

3. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Someone toss me a clue, please. I thought that was a decent supplier...? The reviews I added at the end of my original post seem positive enough.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is nothing wrong with Sandisk SSD drives. It is one of the top picks by a respected reviewer here.

5. ColdCase, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

6. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

7. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

ok, are you more concerned about giving up some transfer speed or firmware that is very reliable?

It's 128GB, you're not transferring terabytes of data. Even at 400MB/s you can fill that whole thing in 5 minutes.

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The drive referenced is 256 GB. SanDisk has been pretty durable with its marvell controller, but for only $35 more they could have put an equivalent sized and current SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD in there.... and really had something. Another $25 for a Samsung 850 pro with its 10 year warranty.

I think with SSD, it is generally not about capacity, but OS, game, or app responsiveness.

Just saying that perhaps the price reflects the older almost obsolete SSD.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I took a look at the monoprice.com drive in the link above, and....

$336 for a 256gb drive?

Is this a joke?

You can pick up a Crucial 256gb SSD for a price of about $110.

Then, drop it into an Inateck 2.5" USB3 enclosure with UASP support for about $18.

For about $130, you'll have a USB3 drive that will run as fast (or nearly as fast) as the thunderbolt drive above, and $200 extra in your hand...

10. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Hey, you could go even farther and compare it to a spinning disk! Then, what a ripoff, hm?

...The keyword is "almost". For some usage cases (virtual machines, heavy video editing) the edge Thunderbolt provides can be significant.

The main point is that bus-powered Thunderbolt external SSDs are starting to happen and prices are starting to fall.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I put Samsung 1TB SSD into Inateck USB 3 enclosure that is buss powered and get over 400MBs read and write. I use that drive in the field. At home I have RAID sets attached by TB. The RAID sets are HD.

12. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Block throughput is a small part of the story. Where TB has the advantage is in rapid random reads and rights, as in running a virtual machine or doing heavy photo or video editing and rendering.

Don't get me wrong, USB3 is great and a huge advancement over USB2, but for some applications it's still a bottleneck. You can tell what applications those are: a native SSD runs rings around them. And Thunderbolt is native.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

14. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

One connected to a controller on the system bus rather than funneling through a pipe like USB or a LAN. Best for bandwidth and responsiveness in transfers large and small.

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

OK, you mean a PCIe SSD. That is the only buss interface I know about for SSD.

16. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Or SATA and its more recent variants. No funnel there.