Monoprice has a whole DisplayPort aisle now

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by J the Ninja, Aug 9, 2009.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246

Stuff there includes MDP extensions, DP > MDP cables (seems male-to-male only, so no good for ACD + PC video card, but should be nice for the Mac owners with the Dell 3008 to avoid the Apple dual-link thing), and MDP > DVI, HDMI, or VGA cables. Not adapters, full cables, so you don't have the huge weight of a DVI connector 2 inches from your laptop pulling the connector out slowly and make the external monitor go sparkly. (I'm bitter, and will be buying this :p)

Most of the stuff isn't in stock yet, so it might be a month or two, but they will be selling it all. Thought some folks would like to know.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

So the Dell 3008WFP does have DisplayPort. Now if someone would try it out.

3. emt377 macrumors member

I have this setup with a 4870 in a Mac Pro. Works great with a 6ft DP-to-MDP M/M cable.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's good to know that you can skip out on Apple's Mini-DP to dual link DVI nonsense.

5. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Now I just need to get someone like HD Cable in the UK to start buying from Monoprice and I'll be very happy... :D

6. dyn macrumors 68030

It's been there for 3 to 4 months already and it still isn't in stock. Circuit Assembly on the other hand does have stuff in stock (people even reviewed it) but th mDP-DP cable costs 14,95$ instead of something around 4~5$ which is a biiiiiig difference.

EDIT: I ordered one and got mine. Works great and it seems to be a bit more speedy compared to the mDP -> dual link DVI adapter from Apple (which would be due to the fact there is no need to convert the signal anywhere, not even in the Dell 3008WFP!).

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

Great news! I've got a 3008WFP and I'm going to get a Macbook Pro soon. Where did you get the cable?

8. BrSchultz macrumors newbie

Cable for ACD + PC video card?

Any recommendations for cables to solve the ACD + PC video card (with DisplayPort) issue (male DP to female MDP cable)?

9. emt377 macrumors member

10. emt377 macrumors member

Over the last month or so that I've used the combo I've had one glitch where the monitor didn't sync correctly after waking. Not sure why this happened, but I put the computer to sleep and woke it again and that fixed it. I doubt it's due to the cable though...

11. BrSchultz macrumors newbie

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I also have a Dell 3008WFP and it runs great off my unibody MacBook and the Circuit Assembly adapter cable. I've got the monitor connected via dual-link DVI to my desktop Mac Pro and I can easily pop on my MacBook via the display port adapter. No need for the flakey Apple $99 adapter.