Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hello all,

I've ordered a nMP and it should be here in a few weeks. The budget is such that I need a new monitor since I am moving from a mbp. I've got an old apple Cinema Display, but I would like to get a 27" monitor to run as my primary monitor. I'd love a thunderbolt monitor, but I don't have that kind of margin in my budget. I'm looking at this Monoprice monitor: 27" IPS-ZERO-G Slim Monitor WQHD 2560x1440 - Dual Link DVI, VGA

Does anyone have any experience with it? I've got my current Cinema Display hooked up with a dual dvi connector, I guess I'd need another adapter so I can run both monitors? Any other options I should look at? I just want at least 27 inches and want higher than 1080 res. any help? Thanks!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hello all,

I've ordered a nMP and it should be here in a few weeks. The budget is such that I need a new monitor since I am moving from a mbp. I've got an old apple Cinema Display, but I would like to get a 27" monitor to run as my primary monitor. I'd love a thunderbolt monitor, but I don't have that kind of margin in my budget. I'm looking at this Monoprice monitor: 27" IPS-ZERO-G Slim Monitor WQHD 2560x1440 - Dual Link DVI, VGA

Does anyone have any experience with it? I've got my current Cinema Display hooked up with a dual dvi connector, I guess I'd need another adapter so I can run both monitors? Any other options I should look at? I just want at least 27 inches and want higher than 1080 res. any help? Thanks!

If you are going to buy a Monoprice, get the one with DP

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2

Frankly the Dual DVI to mDP converter will cost you $60 which when you add that cost to the one you (failed) to link to it would actually cost you more than buying the one with native DP.

I myself was able to get two Refurbished HP ZR2740w's on woot for $350 each and I think they went as low as $300 another round on woot. Point being, is that you don't have to settle for a cheap korean if you keep your eyes open.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for the headsup! That's a good point about getting a monitor that has the correct inputs straight out of the box. I'll definitely keep that in consideration. I'm thinking that an old 30" Cinema Display could be a good option too if I can find one for the right price. I like my 23" one from years and years ago. Of course, there's always Dell's new 28" 4k monitor. That could be interesting, but it is a little expensive and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there that I'm finding when paired up with a mp.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I love my Monoprice 27" IPS; it's actually a bit better than the iMac I also use in TDM. But I didn't need the adapter (I use mine with a hackintosh). No dead pixels, good return policy, etc. But it's a very competitive market right now for IPS monitors so keep watching for good deals with the connector you need.

And for some reason the Monoprice monitor was cheaper when ordered through Rakuten at the time I got it, by a significant amount. Go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.