Monoprice monitors as a lower cost option vs TBolt?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slurpeee, Jul 10, 2015.

1. slurpeee macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2015
    Does anyone have experience with this seemingly display port compatible monitor from Monoprice?

One one hand, I keep thinking that I've had great luck/experience with Monoprice products, and this looks to be a great option to save some money.

On the other hand, I keep thinking that at the end of the day, you still get what you pay for and I should just spring the extra $$$ for the Thunderbolt????

I'm running a new Mac Book Pro /retina, 15". I'm not too concerned about all the other ports/charging perks etc that accompany the TBD as I won't be using it a ton (hence wanting to save money)..... My chief concern is a sharp, crystal clear image (ala my TBD I use at the office.

Thanks much in advanced for any input....

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    I wouldn't buy an Apple thunderbolt display today. It's 'way outdated, and I sense it's the last display that Apple is going to offer.

Having said that, if you're wary about Monoprice's monitors, there are numerous other ones available.

A good place to start looking is by taking a few minutes to browse this comprehensive listing of current IPS displays:
  3. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2009
    I bought a Monoprice 27" monitor with the same resolution as my 27" iMac about 1.5 years ago. It works great, is very clear and I have had no problems with it. I got it on Monoprice's eBay page for under $400. Great deal. It has a display port connection that works perfectly.