"Monster" iPad.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TrentS, May 2, 2012.

1. TrentS macrumors 6502

TrentS

If Apple chooses to come out with a Monster iPad, would you buy one? Rumor has it they have been toiling around with the idea of coming out with a 18.5" size iPad screen.

:D :D :D :D

2. nickn, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

nickn macrumors 6502

I don't care what size it is, I will never buy an iPad again...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Irregardless huh? ;)

4. nickn macrumors 6502

Oh FML lol

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:p I aim to please!

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I could care less. :D

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL Nice one!

9. Gomff, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

Gomff macrumors 6502a

I don't know how much truth there is to that rumour, but a larger iPad would make certain creative disciplines more viable on it. Painting, CAD & 3D come to mind and would be infinitely more doable on a larger touch screen.

Ergonomically, while a large touch screen doesn't work well at a 90 degree angle, it may well be viable at something more gradual which the user hunches over as they might a draftsman's board.

10. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

larger ipad....not sure if i see that happening

11. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

12. sekazi macrumors 6502

If they released something I would really like to see something like Microsofts Surface.

[​IMG]

13. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

Back in the real world, back OT, and back to being serious, I would like to see an "iPad HD", and by that I mean a 16:9 screen with the same vertical (landscape) height as the current 4:3 iPad, yet a little longer (wider in landscape mode). Then, HD video would finally make sense on the iPad.

Of course that presents problems for legacy apps, but they could run as 4:3 just fine until upgraded, or never upgraded, dealer's choice. It might even create a niche for true 16:9 HD apps (although everyone already mistakenly labels their 4:3 app HD which bugs the hell out of me).

Since the iTunes store is converting to HD shows, I could see that as a complementary move for Apple; more HD shows, more 16:9 iPads sold. More 16:9 iPads, more HD shows sold.

I would also like to see a Kindle Fire-sized iPad, which would be great for meetings at work.

But my real wish is for a "bezel-less" iPad (and MBA). IOW, edge to edge screen with no black surround. I understand that the black (or white) bezel is also functional, but only when it is being held; in a stand, its not functional at all.

They could also make it dynamic. BY that, I mean that when you grab it, wherever your thumb ends up, whichever edge, is the edge that the active video area automatically shrinks away from. Now you have more real estate for the active screen area, full functionality (IOW you still have room for your thumb without obscuring the video area or scuttling the touch functions), and full screen area when using a stand; the best of all worlds.

When that becomes the norm for iPad 6 and iOS 8, I will be the one that told you so :).

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

The 16:9 aspect ratio in NO WAY denotes HD. It represents widescreen mode. The iPad and anything else with a high enough pixel count can be considered HD.

15. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Conversely, however, HD connotes widescreen by affiliation with modern home video. Hence, iPad HD is a plausible shorthand for a 16:9 iPad. Now apologize!

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Why? I didn't say anything about naming a potential HD iPad. What I said is absolutely true, and you implied the exact opposite, that it can't be HD unless it's 16:9, which is completely wrong. I don't care what they name the thing if they ever make it. The current aspect ratio is the one I prefer.

17. mac jones, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

What's with the irregardelss posts? (and the guy actually edited his post)

Have you all lost it, is that it? :D

18. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Seems like it would be a little unwieldy. I like the size it is now.

19. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

No, I connoted the converse. It is indeed wrong, but it is not my own. Now apologize.

20. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You sound like a five year old. :rolleyes:

21. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I've play with the Microsoft Surface it is pretty amazing, I can certainly think of many working situations where a table top size iPad would be useful.

22. OJStudios macrumors newbie

Definitely interesting but i think the ergonmic issues would need to be thought through. It would probably require 2 handed control and many people are not used to that (or may find that difficult). Single handed operation would translate into a lot of 'hand travel'....

It would look pretty good though ..

23. yinz macrumors 6502a

Could the rumored apple tv fold down into a table?

Apple furniture?

24. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Sitting at my desk now, my neck remains relatively aligned with my back. When I try to look down at my desktop (my desk, not desktop on my Air), I just can't see doing this for hours at a time. I can see a large touch screen, or maybe a non-touch but 3D motion controlled (ala Kinect) screen as the next wave of computing. It wouldn't be type friendly, but that is probably why Apple is pushing the siri interface. I love standing while working and would ideally like to find a way to be able to type while standing (not holding an iPad).