Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
If you hunted that with a bow and arrow, or a bowie knife, I'd have a bit more respect.

A pistol should be in the same category as a bow. Although it was a .50 caliber pistol, you can see that it took many rounds to bring the pig down. Pistols aren't exactly easy to shoot, either, and a .50 cal pistol warrant a whole new difficulty level, especially if running behind the pig for 3 hours. I went to a range and shot pistols (9mm and .40 cal) back-to-back for 20 min and my arms were sore the next few days (I'm a rifle guy). I couldn't imagine running then stopping then shooting then running then stopping then shooting (rinse and repeat)... Stress like that, unless you've adapted to it (think Army Ranger or Navy SEAL or Olympian), and really screw up a shot grouping.

Respect is due and given from my direction. A few more runs like that, and that boy should lose 50 lb!

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
More likely they just had the kid stand about 15 feet behind the pig and took the photo with a wide-angle lens to make it look bigger.

Yeah, I agree. The pics look real but the perspectives are different in the two photos contained in this thread.

The first pic shows a HUGE pig that looks well over 3 feet from chest to hackles. The pic where the pig is hung up, the pig doesn't look as tall from chest to hackles. It could well be that in the first pic, the boy is a few feet behind the pig, making it look bigger. Even in the second pic, the pig is huge!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I won't argue as to whether or not feral pigs should be killed. People won't change their minds based on my post.

However, I think it's utterly irresponsible for any hunting party to knowingly allow an animal to suffer for hours before finishing it off just so some kid can claim the kill. The father and the guides had it in their sites, apparently, for most or all of the three hours it took it to die. That's cruel and inhumane, and none of the hunters I know would allow it to happen.

I completely agree with you jsw. Hunting is one thing, but letting something die a slow agonizing death is quite another.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I completely agree with you jsw. Hunting is one thing, but letting something die a slow agonizing death is quite another.

I agree with you guys as well . Letting the animal run for three hours after shooting it 8 times is just bad hunting practice. The daddy should have taken his rifle and finished it off before the pig ran off. though admittedly it was one way for the dad to get the kid to exersise. :D

I also think that this pig would have to be killed sooner or later.
Feral pigs are a lot worse than true wild pigs, I have seen the damage they do to horses, cattle and even buildings. Imagine that a non-armed individual met this in the woods, most likely he/she would have been a quick snack...yes pigs do eat meat.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
FRUITHURST, Ala. — The Mystery of the Monster pig appears to have been solved.

The 1,051-pound hog, shot and killed by 11-year-old Jamison Stone and the subject of a world-wide Web firestorm over the photo's authenticity, really is...

Fred.

That's "Fred" the pig, and according to Rhonda and Phil Blissitt their humongous hog escaped on April 29, four days before it was killed, according to the Star newspaper.

Late Thursday evening, their claims were confirmed by Andy Howell, Game Warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

"I didn't want to stir up anything," Rhonda Blissitt said. "I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig."

Her husband agreed.

"If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we'd know that for the rest of our lives."

The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after he was bagged by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, a Pickensville native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, LLC, a hunting preserve in Delta. The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.
fox

It was a pet pig named "Fred" who had gotten loose.

Roric

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2005
WI
I think part of the story is fake...

Look at the kid. Do you think this 11 year old chased ANYTHING for 3 hours? Come on! When was the last time you heard of any kid that age being that focused on something that required physical movement?

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Do we have any-other official news from other news sources besides Fox. Not that I don't trust them ;) I would like confirmation from other news agencies and officials from Guinness World Records or some such.

I am still having a tough time believing this. The second photo in the thread looks much more promising than the first. The first looks either photoshoped or taken w/a wide-angle lens as was mentioned.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
ok... now i'm furious. absolutely furious that this pig was shot in a FENCED area! no wonder the chubby kid could chase it. who cares if it was 150 acres...pig still can't get away.

i'm a die hard hunter and this IS NOT HUNTING! if the individual is in a wheel chair, then i could see means for a fenced in hunt, but even then i'm still a bit skeptical.

when i first heard about this, i thought, hey...cool for the kid. now, i'm furious. aside from the supposed doctoring of the photos....the piggee was a biggee no doubt about that.

but to shoot it inside a fenced area? as an ethical, responsible hunter, this pains me. this just gives fuel for the anti-hunters out there to slam us yet again.

hunting when an animal doesn't have the ability to get away using its God given abilities is just plain wrong. it's not hunting...it's just 'chasing with a gun'.

ugh!!!!!
:mad:

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
He 'hunted' it in a fenced in field?

I repeat my comment about hunting with a bowie knife being more manly. (and equal).

Even in a fenced in field, I'd still have some respect if he went after it with a bowie knife.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
He 'hunted' it in a fenced in field?

I repeat my comment about hunting with a bowie knife being more manly. (and equal).

Even in a fenced in field, I'd still have some respect if he went after it with a bowie knife.

I respectfully disagree. if any animal is physically unable to get away b/c of human barriers, it's a total cheat.

but i see your point about hunting. we could turn this into a debate about that, but opinions are opinions so i won't get into it. :)

i'm glad the truth is out about this pig and how it was taken. it completely and rightly takes away from the accomplishment...b/c it's not really an accomplishment.

man, i'm still bitter it was fenced in. gets me so bitter....

cheers,
Keebler

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
Many people regard feral hogs as environmental vermin. If their number increase to large enough size, they destroy the natural environment that unknown numbers of native animals depend on to survive. And that's not a good thing for the natural environment.

Thanks to the "civilized" society of today, we've eliminated the number of natural predictors of the (unnatural) feral pigs. So here's my question -- If society would ban hunting of these hogs, what force would keep their numbers in check?

By this same logic we should probably start hunting the CEOs of companies that pollute excessively. Scratch that - let's just kill anyone with an SUV.

We can be all noble and claim we're helping but we're not. There's no sport in killing, especially in this case where the boy killed a domestic pet!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I respectfully disagree. if any animal is physically unable to get away b/c of human barriers, it's a total cheat.

but i see your point about hunting. we could turn this into a debate about that, but opinions are opinions so i won't get into it. :)

I understand where you're coming from, and I do kinda agree with you, so I won't disagree or debate :)

Just wanted to clarify, I didn't mean in terms of the animal being able to get away (but I do agree with your point about that), it's more about the human having to take significant risks and get up close and physical. Not hide behind a fence, or stand 20m away (or however far it was that he missed a half ton hog 12 times out of 16)

If killing a wild animal means running a risk of death or serious injury 30 - 50 % of the time, then that's more of a test of yourself and an accomplishment.

I accept that risk's too high for me - that's why I don't go hunting with a bowie knife. But I would kinda respect a licensed hunter who did.

Anyway we're off the point - this was a TAME hog in a field.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The chaps on HIGNFY covered this story in the show. Basically stereotyped the kid and his family as hunt-obsessed Neanderthals. May or may not be in the vodcast, but it was a bit funny :)

edit: it does talk a little about the pig.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
The chaps on HIGNFY covered this story in the show. Basically stereotyped the kid and his family as hunt-obsessed Neanderthals. May or may not be in the vodcast, but it was a bit funny :)

edit: it does talk a little about the pig.

I first saw it on Graham Norton's Show.

What I want to know is how that fat boy ran almost constanly for hours! Surely he would be tierd out after 10 minutes, carrying all that weight.

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
if i was 11, in the backyard or woods, and saw a grizzly-bear sized monstrosity running around, i'd grab the nearest gun in a second. to look at that you wouldn't instanly think "hog", just some hairy ass monster. scary stuff.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
hGF0IYn.jpg

hey look! lol

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Well this just about sums it up doesnt it.

Child discovers something amazing, and kills it.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
Well this just about sums it up doesnt it.

Child discovers something amazing, and kills it.

Simply because it's amazing doesn't mean it should be out in the wild. With no natural predators, these wild boars are ripping up the countryside down South and are actually dangerous. No great loss to the world.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Simply because it's amazing doesn't mean it should be out in the wild. With no natural predators, these wild boars are ripping up the countryside down South and are actually dangerous. No great loss to the world.

I dont think there's enough facepalms on the internet for my response to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.