Monster severe weather outbreak across southeastern USA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wrldwzrd89, Apr 27, 2011.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This outbreak is one for the record books... as I post this, three tornado-producing thunderstorms are ravaging northern Alabama and moving towards Tennessee. It's entirely possible that the tornadoes produced by this outbreak will break the all time monthly record for April... and could even challenge the all-time daily record, set back in 1974 by the so-called super outbreak.

Also noteworthy is that The Weather Channel has issued a TOR:CON (Tornado Condition Index) value of 10 for northern Alabama, where the worst of the weather is - this is the first time a value of 10 has ever been issued. The scale, for the curious, goes from 0 to 10, and represents the likelihood of a tornado within a 50 mile radius of the highlighted area.

Fortunately, I am not located in the bulls-eye for these storms... but I could still be affected, as I am in the "severe zone" for today.

2. iliketyla macrumors regular

I heard about this 'cause where I work this is causing a lot of problems due to delays in shipping.

Stay safe buddy!

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is looking like portions of Alabama have been wiped off the map.

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Still isn't going to stop me from going out to get sushi.

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Here is a video of a tornado coming through Tuscaloosa.

Video is here.

Still pichere.

More video here.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

That one was about a mile from my house, maybe less. My wife and I are really fortunate that we only lost power; last I heard around 40 are dead, around 600 injured.

7. ravenvii, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Very scary stuff. We get quite a few tornadoes here, I've seen the damage they can leave behind.

9. iLucas macrumors 6502

Here in southern Indiana it's been bad as well. It has rained every day for the past 6 days and the rivers are way up. The road from my house to work is even underwater, which I have only seen a few times. So many trees and debris is everywhere around here. Tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny though, I guess we'll find out

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

POTUS is heading to Tuscaloosa, to have a peek.

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Our neighborhood is without power (as is most of North Alabama) but we didn't have any damage. Latest stats I've heard are 210 dead in Alabama, and some 400 people missing in Tuscaloosa alone. Please keep this part of the country in your thoughts and prayers.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Holy crap, that was one hell of a tornado.:eek:

13. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

Watched videos of both tornados and aftermath damage. Unbelievable that these same storms passed by North Carolina.

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

We had a town in northern part of the state (Mississippi) named Smithville that got basically wiped off the map. Total population of the town was around 900, and they had 13 people killed. The NWS rated the tornado as an EF-5, the first one in the state since 1966. Check out the pics here.

Not quite as wide a swath of damage as northern Alabama, but huge in proportion to the population.

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I hate to say it, but the death count is probably understated and the missing count is probably overstated. I know some people who work at the local hospital, and they were running out of room for the bodies...and body parts. Since they can't issue death certificates until they've been properly identified, chances are that more than a few of the missing are actually dead.

Rescuers pulled 3 people from the rubble in the Alberta City area yesterday, still alive.

The outpouring of support, from local and from other areas, has been nothing short of miraculous. I don't think there's a church within 100 miles who hasn't taken up a collection for the victims. Local vendors are doing their best to feed everyone; the local Target today was handing out water, ice, and fresh produce of all things, and they're just one of many.

Schools are still currently closed, and the city is under a curfew from 8p-6a. This is mainly to discourage looters. The University of Alabama has cancelled final exams and spring graduation.

We just got power back here about an hour ago (naturally right after my wife and I went and bought more supplies expecting not to be restored until Wednesday). Personally, my wife and I were incredibly lucky. Rosedale Courts, what used to be a housing project where President Obama toured, is maybe half a mile from our house. It's not a matter of rebuilding it, it's a matter of clearing away the rubble and building something else.

If anyone would like to make a donation, as there is still much to do and many people needing all manner of things, please contact Tuscaloosa Temporary Emergency Services or the American Red Cross.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk