Monster Surge Protector Green feature - good idea?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by bobdard, Sep 16, 2009.

1. bobdard macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I don't know who to ask, so I figured I'd put this up here and see if anyone has any ideas. I recently had a ~ $300 printer die in my office to thunderstorms. I was an idiot before then, and never thought about UPS or surge protectors. Well now I went out and bought a surge protector to plug in my computer and printer and everything else. It's a Monster model with a Green Power feature, which works to reduce energy consumption. I don't care about energy consumption so much, but I figured I'd do my part for our planet. This is how it works:

You have a port for the computer (mac mini) and one for your router. These two ports stay ON all the time. Then there are 4 ports which accessories can plug into. These four ports automatically shut off when your computer, plugged into the first port, goes to sleep or is turned off.

I've plugged the mini into the first port, and my monitor into the "accessory" port. Everytime my mini goes to sleep, the monitor is basically "unplugged" without being turned off first. Is this a good idea for the monitor? Kind of like never turning something off and just unplugging it instead.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help.

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Should not be a problem for a monitor, The power button just cuts off power to the LCD panel and backlight anyway.

A projector though is another story