Monster Windows 10 17" MBP alternative

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Queen6, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If only the 17" MBP had developed on a similar path...

Personally have no use for such a beast, equally difficult not to be impressed by the Razer Blade Pro`s sheer perfomance as portable, albeit not very portable or entirely practical, that said :cool:

Q-6

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Anything covered in flashy lights I feel is automatically targeted at children, to go with their flashy shoes. 3 hour battery life too, not very portable indeed!

I'm glad Apple hire designers instead of the Christmas Elves Razor apparently hire.

3. Queen6 thread starter macrumors 603

Queen6

Completely agree, it`s just interesting from a technical point of view that this is achievable. Believe that the "Light Show" can be turned off, equally adds zero to the portability.

Q-6

4. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

There was a time where I was seriously considering a base model Blade - decided I didn't want to do without MacOS though. Super solid machines throughout their lineup. Yeah the 17" Blade's battery life isn't great but it's a 17" desktop replacement. The ThinkPad P70 for instance, is about 4-5hrs from what I've heard.

Dave2D does awesome reviews as well. Helps me keep up to date with whats going on in the notebook world.

5. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Yes, it's very impressive. I'd actually prefer this laptop to having a powerful desktop, but I just don't see myself buying something like this anytime soon - if ever.

And yes, it does make you wonder- what if Apple tried something similar? Still, you have to remember - at the time, 17" MacBook Pro wasn't actually more powerful than the 15" model. I would be interested in something of this size from Apple only if they actually made it more powerful than the 15" models.

Still, this is a nice laptop.

6. No. 44 macrumors member

No. 44

I'm sure that many owners of the 2016 MacBook Pro would agree with you...

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, and I thought Apple was pricey - 3,700 base price - way out of my price range

8. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

2016 MacBook Pro gets better battery life than 3 hours. 7 hours of medium-intensive work. The problem is that it's not 10 hours as advertised, but it's still way better than this.

9. Queen6 thread starter macrumors 603

Queen6

Just a bit of fun really, as we are all tech guys. Totally agree the major issue with the 17" MBP beyond the display, the 17" offered nothing over the more portable 15" This too would be be my fear just an upscaled 15" MBP. Apple likely get that at this level calibrated externals are more prevalent.

Niche, more a technical exercise and bragging rights, that said it would make for a serious portable workstation as long as no one had had to see it :) That said if all the lighting was turned off, I doubt anyone would care.

Q-6

10. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Amazing exercise/achievement, office street cred 0 but at home a wow

Don't think left handers would be pleased with that trackpad location

Perhaps with those timings shown the battery life is not too bad if your completing tasks over 2 times faster LOL

Hard to put on your list with that size/weight and price and even Santa would need a couple more reindeers for delivery :D

11. Pootmatoot, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Yes, daft light show aside, it could be the tech of a 2016 MBP 17".

All the problems are minor aesthetics. The tech, size, specs, and build quality are all there.

Of course, on the Apple price scale, that machine would hit $8500...

12. jerryk, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68030

Wow. That thing is big and heavy. But for the gaming and video editing power user no other laptop can touch it.

13. paaj macrumors member

paaj

And a macbook as mousepad for optimal gaming to go with your expensive Blade...

Maybe that was Apple's masterplan all along, best thin mousepads. :D

14. clangers23 macrumors member

Actually I get around 6 hours from mine and I use it for software development and a lot of virtualisation. It's a huge laptop with an equally large battery.

It's a real shame that Apple don't make a 17" now, given the perceived shift in profile of the 15" model there's actually a distinct gap in their model range now for a 17" which addresses the needs of pro users. 32gb RAM etc. Just a shame Apple aren't in that market anymore.

15. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Most other high-end 15" ultrabooks have 32gb options, because they didn't make Apple's battery/RAM choices - a decision that's turned out to mean very little in real world usage, given they simultaneously shrank the battery.

16. clangers23 macrumors member

True but they'd be able to shift the target market for the 15" model (to more thin and light) and keep established user's needing something more powerful and expandable happy with the 17".

Part of the problem with Apple is that they always have such a small model range. Dell, Lenovo and others can shift the profile of a new generation of a respective model range without the same level of outcry from their user base simply because they offer so many different laptop models.