Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Should be sometime in February. Here's the pros and cons:

AT&T:

- Better coverage (it'll be a bit better than Alltel's CDMA which is already better than Verizon in most of Montana)
- About twice as fast
- SIM cards
- Simultaneous voice and data
- Global roaming

Verizon:

- Possibly unlimited data (this may change but if it happens it's HUGE, what good is a fast network with a low cap?)
- A couple of my best friends are on Verizon and are trying to get me to switch to save them minutes.

BRussell

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2002
shahidhaque - No I don't know when new users will get to sign up. I just know that in September, AT&T said they would "take over Alltel service in Montana by the end of the year or early next year."

markie - Do we really know that AT&T's coverage will be better? No one has yet used AT&T here, because as I understand it they had to change the cell towers they bought to GSM. I hope it's better, but I don't think we know that until we see some real-world experiences.

I'm going to wait until summer, see some comparisons between the networks here, and take a look at the new iPhone.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
markie - Do we really know that AT&T's coverage will be better? No one has yet used AT&T here, because as I understand it they had to change the cell towers they bought to GSM. I hope it's better, but I don't think we know that until we see some real-world experiences.

I'm going to wait until summer, see some comparisons between the networks here, and take a look at the new iPhone.

One, at least at network launch, AT&T won't have any GSM (other than the Alltel GSM which is still connected to Verizon infrastructure under the transition service agreement). I've heard mixed stories as to whether GSM is coming or not.

At launch, though, it'll be all UMTS.

As for coverage - it'll be somewhat better than the current Alltel CDMA at launch due to some tweaking AT&T is doing. Customers in already-converted areas are saying good things. Alltel site launches that were delayed will be happening later this year, so that'll improve things even more.

The exception is that many areas that currently rely on Verizon roaming will be no service at first, but AT&T is working hard to fill them in. These areas are already fairly limited and won't affect the vast majority of subscribers. We MIGHT also gain roaming on CellularOne - currently AT&T customers can roam on CellularOne, but that might get pulled. Who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.