Monteniva release/next update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddy64, Feb 26, 2008.

1. eddy64 macrumors regular

Ok so, I am currently a high school student but will be attending college this year in August. I am very excited to purchase my first mac but I seem to be in a dilemma. While I really want to get the new Macbook pro's, I would hate to see the MBP updated again (maybe in the June event) before I go to college.

I don't really need the MBP at the moment, but I would really like to have it.

Do you guys think the next update, possibly with Monteniva, will occur before August of this year? I would hate to miss out on an awesome update just because my excitement caused me to buy the notebook now. For sure though, I will have to buy a laptop before August.

Any thoughts? Thanks :)

PS I know theres the summer offer with the free Ipod, but I don't really care for that. I would rather have it now, assuming theres no update.

One more thing, I know the realease date has been discussed, but most people just say summer/fall. Is this before August? or are we looking at an october/november release? Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Fall 2008 after the back-to-school offer.

Be there.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It won't be till after the ipod promo ends, so I'd say October earliest. Probably november is more likely.

4. Czechmac macrumors regular

I think there will be a big upgrade in MBP during the summer, maybe at WWDC. Montevina comes out in June i think, so 2-3 month of time is more than enough for apple to put it into computers, especially MBP.

I don't think we will see montevina in MB until christmas, mainly because it uses DDR3, which is a bit expensive at the moment, however I think that MBP will have montevina by September.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

From the launch of penryn, it took about 2 months to get this update. There was no case redesign and the chipset is the same.

Montevina is a new, smaller chipset, so a case redesign is more likely. That will likely extend the lead time. Also, there's the iPod promotion as was mentioned earlier. They will likely wait after that to update. So, I'd say September-October is a good range to expect the update. This will put the Nehalem update Spring 09 if I had to guess.

6. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I disagree. I think macbooks and macbook airs are more geared toward the college market, and therefore new ones will not be released until after the iPod/back to school deal. The macbook pro, on the other hand, is less of a "student" machine and it usually keeps up with the Joneses. The Dell XPS line just got its Penryn refresh on February 15th, and here we are 11 days later with a Penryn MBP. This was the same deal as last summer. While most of the major PC brands announced Santa Rosa laptops in May, they were released only a week or two before the SR MBP was. Apple doesn't like to look like old technology now that it is in the PC world of Intel chips. I believe we will have a Montevina MBP by August. The reason there was no major case redesign now is that the Penryn chips are simply a refresh of the current architecture and they fit right in. Therefore Apple saves a bundle by keeping the rest the same (through economies of scale). When they have to redesign the interior for Montevina we will see some external changes, the least of which will be a larger trackpad. The rest I can't speak to, but you can probably imagine.

That's my take on it.

-Ado

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I wasn't suggesting that the case redesign didn't happen because of anything to do with Penryn. I was trying to point out the case redesign is most likely next update, if at all.

My expectation date about montevina based MBPs is based on my skepticism about the current Intel roadmap. They are telling us we will get Montevina in June, only to be followed late that year by another platform that supports the new QuickPath of Nehalem? Something doesn't add up. They are some hiding details about that, and I'm not expecting things to arrive on time right now.

8. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

The next update will be sometime after the summer. My bet is that it will be around October.