Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lungbutter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
So I've been running the 12.3 betas, now the final, and also applied the .1 update. I'm having an issue with running the Microsoft Teams macOS client which I believe is still in "preview" with three different webcams. Anyhow, Facetime works perfectly, Google Meet is fine. When I try to run the macOS Teams application with an external webcam (I run in clamshell mode), I receive a green video screen. I've tried tweaking everything I could think of but still no joy. The web version in Chrome works flawlessly but I need to run the fat client.

I've found about no information on the interweb about this. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue? Is anyone running Teams without a problem using an external webcam?

Oh, BTW, MBP M1 16 GB 256GB SSD.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So I've been running the 12.3 betas, now the final, and also applied the .1 update. I'm having an issue with running the Microsoft Teams macOS client which I believe is still in "preview" with three different webcams. Anyhow, Facetime works perfectly, Google Meet is fine. When I try to run the macOS Teams application with an external webcam (I run in clamshell mode), I receive a green video screen. I've tried tweaking everything I could think of but still no joy. The web version in Chrome works flawlessly but I need to run the fat client.

I've found about no information on the interweb about this. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue? Is anyone running Teams without a problem using an external webcam?

Oh, BTW, MBP M1 16 GB 256GB SSD.

Thanks all!
I have not had any issues using Teams with 12.3.1 and an external camera (Logitech C920) on an M1 MacBook Air. Perhaps you might want to switch back to the release version of Teams to see if that works better. Does your internal camera work?

lungbutter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
What do you mean by the release version of Teams? I've downloaded it from the Microsoft site four times. I'll try any version that may work if I know another/better place to grab it.

I've been lazy and haven't tried the internal camera. Funny thing is, Facetime and Google meet, for example, work perfectly. They see the camera(s) and have no issues. Can you check your Teams application version for me? I'm running Microsoft Teams version 1.5.00.8073. Last updated 3/20/22.

Thanks!

lungbutter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
Here is a pic of the evil green screen...

1649181193400.png

Blech.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What do you mean by the release version of Teams? I've downloaded it from the Microsoft site four times. I'll try any version that may work if I know another/better place to grab it.

I've been lazy and haven't tried the internal camera. Funny thing is, Facetime and Google meet, for example, work perfectly. They see the camera(s) and have no issues. Can you check your Teams application version for me? I'm running Microsoft Teams version 1.5.00.8073. Last updated 3/20/22.

Thanks!
You mentioned a preview version of Teams. 1.5.00.8073 is the latest release version. I'd have to guess this is an issue specific to whatever camera you have, but without knowing if the internal camera works, troubleshooting is pretty difficult.

lungbutter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
Yeah, sorry about that. So, have tried three different cameras, and all work with Facetime and other applications. I'm guessing it's a Teams issue honestly. Running on 12.4 Beta 1 now. WIll test again.

Thanks

Last edited:

lungbutter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2014
Quick and baffling update: So I again this morning tested Facetime with the webcam. Instant and perfect. I happened to have Teams open and it had the Green Screen fun happening. All of a sudden, the video appears in Teams and looks great. So, I have Facetime open in a window, can even "Turn Off" Facetime but keep the window open, and the video is still present in Teams.

I have no ideas other than Teams needs the webcam initialized or something and then it's happy. Going to run some live tests today with others to see if it works properly. Did I mention I ❤️ Microsoft?

LongZheng

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Just making a note I'm also experiencing this issue with a Lenovo 510 FHD Webcam on macOS Monterey 12.5.

I see a green video in Teams 1.5.00.22652, until I open another video app like FaceTime, Photo Booth or even a site that requires webcam in Google Chrome. I can also reproduce the issue with the Zoom desktop app.

As a workaround I have to use the Teams web app using Google Chrome and it's ifne.

1660537272254.png

tgleaf

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2023
It's still a problem in Ventura (OS X 13.1). I'm using a Depstech webcam and it works fine in Zoom and in Teams for web (https://teams.live.com). But in the Teams app, the preview screen is 90% green with a small strip at the top where I can see the live video feed from my webcam.

I tried the Facetime trick described above and it works, sort of. I opened Facetime and it too had a green preview. I then unchecked Video-->Automatic Camera Selection and re-checked it. As soon as I re-checked it, the video appeared correctly. I then started a new meeting in Teams (with the Facetime preview still open) and it worked correctly, showing 100% of the video feed in Teams.

But this doesn't seem to be a consistent workaround. Sometimes it just reverts back to the green block.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.