Monterrey for MacBook Pro 2012

willpowern

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
I’m thinking about updating my OS to Monterrey. I have a MacBook Pro from mid-2011 Retina display. Will my performance be okay do you think? I’m currently running High Sierra and it works pretty well. Clean install?

fhturner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2007
Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, GA
I’m thinking about updating my OS to Monterrey. I have a MacBook Pro from mid-2011 Retina display. Will my performance be okay do you think? I’m currently running High Sierra and it works pretty well. Clean install?
Heh...not sure where to start on this. We've got a few points of confusion that you might want to clarify first:
  1. Monterrey— thinking perhaps you mean macOS 10.15 Catalina?
  2. MacBook Pro— this is actually the Mac Pro forum, so you might want to go to the MacBook Pro forum to pose your query.
  3. mid-2011 Retina— maybe a typo on the year, but the 2011 MacBook Pro is not Retina, but there is a Mid 2012 Retina model (which was the first year for Retina MBPs).
Good luck w/ your decision. I will say that Catalina betas have so far run pretty well on an Early 2013 Retina MBP13 of mine.

bobnugget

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
England
Probably Mojave? Yes, I'd say this is definitely worth installing for now. Catalina will be out soon and should work OK, but won't run 32-bit software.