Montevina MacBook??? a reality?? or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Winter Charm, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

well, recently intel's montevina chipset came out, and i was wondering when the release date for the montevina macbook would be. what are your opinions on a possible release date, and what do you think the new processor clock speeds would be?? also, along with this chipset, the intel X4500MHD intigrated gpu is included... it is a high def enabled chipset -- this brings to mind my second question - will this allow the new macbook to play HD media in full out High Def, and allow it to play several high def videos at the same time and allow for advanced multitasking. - ok, the third issue is if this is a likely update (i have already heard that a montevina macbook PRO is on the way...) will a macbook soon follow??

so those are my 3 questions - thanks for reading.

2. kabunaru Guest

3. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

There has been plenty of speculation on this in many active and recent threads in this forum and the MacBook Pro forum, so a search on "Montevina" will return hundreds of hits. ;)

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Hopefully the rumours about them using different chipsets are true. We might actually then get some half decent graphics performance in the Macbook.

5. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

half decent??? trust me -- lol a two year old with a pacifier is better than intel's integrated graphics - and if the rumors about apple switching to AMD chipsets in combo with an Intel Processor are true, then we will soon see some ATI graphics (integrated or not, they are much better than intels IGP line) and ATI is pretty comparable to Nvidia... after all, we did see a lot of trouble with the 8600 GT's in the MBP Penryn. - so hopefully in the next year or two we will get something really worth buying.. and hopefully they will switch from the polycarbonate casing to a black aluminum (would look awesome if they did that and added a backlit keyboard:D) think about how sleek, sexy and shiny it would look :D

6. kabunaru Guest

And they will be closer to PowerPC Macs again. I heard that PowerPC Macs actually used an AMD chip-set with an PowerPC processor. There was no such thing as a standard PowerPC chip-set.
    I hope Apple will make their Macs more unique again (from the PC hardware) with the coming updates. :)

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes I know the Intel graphics suck. Thats why I said it?

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Sometime in September are where all the rumors point to.

2.27 GHz for the low end, 2.4 GHz for the midrange, and 2.4 GHz or 2.53 GHz for the high end.

They are likely to be announced simultaneously or at least close together.

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

All I've heard (besides speculation) are NVIDIA chipsets.

10. kabunaru Guest

What would you want Apple to do? To switch chip-sets or not? I would like to hear your opinion.

11. iMacmatician macrumors 601

It depends on what's best for Apple.

The NVIDIA chipset provides advantages over Montevina such as a one-piece design and better integrated graphics, and won't need tons of development from Apple. But if it sours the Apple-Intel relationship then I do not agree with Apple going that route.

A custom Apple + Intel + PA Semi chipset would be specifically designed for the thinness of MacBooks and MacBook Pros, as well as having some "pro" features (like a faster FSB and 3-channel RAM) that other notebooks lack. At the expense of extra cost, the MacBook Pros could stay ahead of competing PC notebooks in this regard. I would like to see them going this route as it would strengthen the Apple-Intel relationship.

12. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Speaking for myself, I'd prefer to stay with Intel. I have had very poor experiences with VIA and SiS chipsets, which drove me back to Intel-only.

I have used (but not owned) machines with nVidia and ATI chipsets and they seemed to work okay, but I just...trust...Intel more. If Apple moves away from Intel it won't keep me from buying their products, but I likely will not stay a Rev.1 purchaser as I have been since the move to Intel chipsets.

13. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

in my opinion, i would like for apple to either stay with intel [i heard there new X4500MHD is actually comparable to an Nvidia Geforce 8400] or go to an AMD chipset (ati graphics are decent) - and this infinitely preferrable to swithcing over to nvidia chipsets - because i am still shaken up by rumors that are stating that all the MBP's with the 8600GT have faulty chips that will crash in the very near future... so nvidia has lost my trust... i dont mind ATI - they have good cards and would be very nice compared to an intel.