Montevina MBP? What?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by t19880821, Sep 1, 2008.

1. t19880821 macrumors regular

So I get that it comes with the montevina chipset, but is that really the highlight of these MBPs that are expected to be released? What is the possibility they will come with a better graphics card than the 8600m gt, like the 8800m gt (i know i'm dreaming).

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Montevina is not a CPU. It is a systemboard chipset.

And there is no guarantee it will be used in the next MacBook Pro. Persistent rumors claim that Apple is moving to nVidia for the systemboard chipset for the next MacBook Pro (and MacBook, Mac Mini and iMac).

3. t19880821 thread starter macrumors regular

and this is supposed to come out this month? or what? and say i buy a MBP a week before or if this comes out, would i be able to go in and replace it for the newer one?

sorry, but i don't really know much about this. all i want, really, is a good mbp.. and if another one is coming out within a month, i just want to know if it's worth it. i'm looking for performance.

4. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The rumor mill says a new MacBook Pro is coming within the next 30 to 60 days, but it's all rank speculation at this time as to what it will look like and what it will contain.

So it's best to just sit back and wait for it to ship. When it does, it will be on Page 1. :)

5. antmo macrumors member

this is a complex question, even though it doesn't seem like one :)

no one knows for sure when new mbp's will come out... there's some speculation about sometime this month, but that is only speculation. add to that, no one knows what the new mbp's will have inside/look like, they can only go by what intel's latest offerings are and then speculate how apple will configure them.

the reliability of the gpu used in the current mbp's (as well as the majority of higher-end notebooks from all manufacturers) is in question right now based on some stuff going on with the materials used in these chips...lots of info on these boards about this.

the general theory around whether to wait or not is based on how difficult it is for you to wait. given the noise about sept 9 or 16, i'd say wait till then if at all possible. if you do go with the current gen mbp, the whole gpu issue is something you'll need to decide whether you're comfortable gambling on (i.e. may or may not be an issue, apple/nvidia may or may not deal with it, even if it is an issue it may or may not affect you during the life of your mbp)...

my local apple stores always tell me that if an upgraded/new model of whatever i'm buying, is released within the 14 day return period, they'd let me exchange without a restocking fee.

mjb

6. MBX macrumors 65816

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Please people stop posting duplicate threads.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 8800M GT is a worthless piece of crap that is over a year old, too hot, and wouldn't even fit in the MacBook Pro.

Try the 9 series, since they're out now. We'll either see a 9650 GT or a 3650M from ATI.