Montevina VS Santa Rosa?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluedoggiant, Apr 8, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

So I have my iMac here, maxed out for all my video work, I'm saving up for a new base MacBook at its next update, I'm sure it will get Montevina, and I know thats better than Santa Rosa, but would I notice a difference between my 2.8ghz merom c2e santa rosa vs a 2.26ghz c2d penryn montevina?

As in the MacBook have any signficant pluses to the iMac? I would like my iMac to be by FAR superior to the MacBook, and don't really want the MacBook to be better in something, and that something is noticeable. Thanks in advance. My iMac will soon have 4GB, and the MB will have 2GB.

My reasoning is that I want a powerful iMac, and I want to get a MacBook that will not meet my iMac in terms of performance so I can differentiate the two, like I know my imac 2.8 merom santa rosa is better than 2.26 penryn montevina, or at least a bit better (penryn and montevina advantage), but I don't want the MacBook to beat the iMac in anything lol.

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

I would expect that if you are getting a macbook (not a pro) then it will be worse in terms of performance as compared to your iMac.

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

So...umm to you there is too much of a good thing in a way? You dont want your Macbook to be better than your iMac? Well,...Santa Rosa or Montevina wouldnt seem to matter, if you dont want the performance, go with the lesser of the two.

4. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Ok, the iMac will have 4gb, and the MB will have 2gb.

will i notice the the increase in bus speed and ram speed (678ghz vs 800ghz), over the imac's santa rosa MEROM 2.8?

What are those things anyway

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Montevina's FSB will be 1066MHz not 800MHz and will support DDR 3 RAM although that might be a moot point since the most popular RAM is still DDR 2 667 and will probably remain so after montevina release

Performance in terms of processor speed alone might balance out and be neck in neck (2.26GHz/1066MHz vs 2.8GHz/800MHz) or the penryn will edge out by maybe 10-20%. However i think the iMac will still be faster overall thanks to the desktop 7200RPM drive compared to the 5400RPM drive of the macbook

Overall if you have to buy a penryn computer sell both the iMac & MacBook and use the money to buy future revisions of both. Either that or sit still where you are now with merom chips...after all they're aren't slouches

6. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

thanks, anyone else?

and your saying the macbook will perform better, but the imac will beat only in HD speed and GPU?

7. menthol moose macrumors regular

The processor in the iMac will most definitely perform better if the Macbook uses a 2.26Ghz processor. Since the FSB isn't saturated even in my Macbook, with a 667Mhz FSB, the increased FSB won't mean anything. Since the iMac will also have twice as much RAM, I can't see any way in which the Macbook might be faster.

Also, unless you're doing heavy video work, the hard drive speed won't mean much. The iMac drive will be faster, but it won't be noticeable.