Montevina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubble27, Jan 8, 2008.

1. bubble27 macrumors regular

Forget about Penryn chips, they not nothing special from what i read. 20% increase? I have to agree with the people that state that we wont really see a difference in performance.

Its all about Montevina chips! They gona run on ddr3 and be better for gaming aswell for all people who question if gaming is good on a MBP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino

These chips are to be released in March/April but the big question is WHEN WILL MBP HAVE THEM?

Personally i reckon its a great business tactic to release the penryns chips now and everyone invests in one then release the Montevina and thats a MUST to have considering the major upgrade.

Montevina is also gona have WiiMax, some sort of new wifi.

I hope MBP come out with these chips by April/May...go :apple: go! :p

2. BowZinger macrumors member

I don't know what will happen, normally apple updates MBP ever 6 months or so, I am going to need a computer for college so I don't want to get a MBP now and then have a new one come out closer to september!

3. husJAF macrumors newbie

4. Josheua macrumors regular

I believe that Montevina is going to be the big thing this year. Penryn is a step in the right direction, but even it is going to be replaced in a year by 32nm variants. What is going to matter is the new technologies in it like USB 3.0 and WiMax. Also I think Montevina will be what brings a macbook pro case redesign.

-Josh :apple:

5. BowZinger macrumors member

it's true, the again that is the point of the site lol

I am just waiting for MWSF and if the macbook pro looks good to me I will buy one then (lol) I don't want to wait until august to get one for school!

6. husJAF macrumors newbie

Montevina on a ultraportable with a decent graphics card would be the best thing this year, but I doubt it'll happen...

Surprise me :apple:

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Seems to me you are confusing CPU's and chipsets... Penryn is a CPU, Montevina is a CHIPSET that will replace the Santa Rosa Chipset.

8. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

Penryn + Santa Rosa won't bring much noticeable increase in performance compared to the current Merom lineup, so we'll have to see what Montevina has to offer. Montevina is supposed to run on DDRIII RAM and unlike Napa -> Santa Rosa, Montevina is supposed to be a bigger step up for Intel.

As for the new line of chips to succeed Penryn, Nehalem will be out by the end of the year or early 2009 and it's a complete redesign of the Core architecture. With these processors we may see quad or even octo core notebooks with other impressive enhancements such as true quad core architecture and integrated memory controllers.

Personally, I don't see any reason to buy nor or even in mid-2008 if you're not in a complete need of a new system because Core 2 will become obsolete within less than a year.

9. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

I doubt 8-core laptops since there is a big issue with heat.

So basicaly im trying to contradict all the posts that people are like "im gona buy as soon as MBP comes out"...

What you gona do if MBP comes out with a huge step up in may? :confused:
    Im using a single core 512mb notebook and im dieing to buy a new notebook!! cant handle it...just waiting abit for a good investment

10. Josheua macrumors regular

No mistake. I am aware that Penryn is a CPU and Santa Rosa/Montevina are chipsets. My point was that if you look at Intel's roadmap, Penryn is slated to be replaced in 2009 by 32nm variants (forgot the code name). Montevina is going to introduce and be able to handle newer technologies (USB 3.0, WiMax, etc.) That is why i felt it is going to be a bigger technological advancement in 2008 over the standard speed bump offered by a Processor evolution like Penryn

P.S. Sorry I wasn't clear, I wrote this in between classes and was a little rushed.

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

No one should buy anything before the Unobtainium MBPs come out in 2263.

12. wwwdotcomdotnet macrumors member

that was the best post i read here all day :)

13. Josheua macrumors regular

Unobtainium Core 95 is going to be the real hit in 2264, thats the sweet spot. Buy then. For sure :D

14. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Well...I heard through the grapevine that Unobtalelu Core 143 will be the hit Q4 in 2264....thats what I heard though.

15. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Ohhh look at you funny guys....are you professional comedians?

Im not like you kids, daddys little rich boys that runs up to papah and asks for 2,5k for a damn computer

16. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Off topic, but I'd like to have the following in my next MBP (Summer 2010)...

- 12GHz Intel C2D processor (San Francisco Centrino platform) with 16 cores
    - 12GB DDR3 RAM
    - 15.4" Hi-Res
    - nVidia Ultimate SEX 6900 Series GPU with 4GB VRAM
    - 1000GB 7,200RPM HD
    - HD/Blu-Ray drive
    - Next Gen Bluetooth
    - Next Gen 802.11
    - Fingerprint reader or eye retina scanner
    - 5mp iSight with light
    - 0.75" thick
    - weight less than 4lbs
    - made of scratch resistant material
    - keyboard is spill proof with drainage hole (like ThinkPad)
    - speakers by Altec Lansing or JBL
    - price tag US$2499
    :)

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Good thing my computer was free and not 2.5k:rolleyes:

18. je1ani macrumors 6502

Other than the 12ghz and the insane Gpu I think thats feasible within 2 years

19. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

If only some people could take a joke...

On topic though, there will always be something bigger and better just around the corner. If you are always waiting for "what's next" you'll never own a computer. Whether it's daddy's 2.5k or not, sometimes you just have to buy and enjoy what you have instead of being jealous about what is coming next, or what you could potentially be missing.

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

if you don't need a comp right now I'd agree that waiting for montevina layer on this year would be a smart buying decision. SR would he too stifling of penryn

21. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I totally agree with you on this! I'm a 19 y.o. son of daddy btw, lol. And yes, he paid for it.

P.S. ure hot btw, if thats u in the lil pic

22. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Sorry, but I AM daddy and I have to pay for anything I want. And I'm far from rich. And you need to relax. And wait for 2263.

23. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Daddy, are you gonna live till the year 2263? I'll wait for you if you buy me a MBP in that year. :D

24. Josheua macrumors regular

Too bad I am a working colllege who had to save for his. Sad to see that commedy turns you in a angry ******.

Hope Santa brings you a sense of humor next year!