Monthly 3G for Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dloreski, Jan 26, 2012.

1. dloreski macrumors member

I have a MBP, iphone, and ipad.
    I'm thinking of getting an 11" MBA to use instead of my ipad.
    I think I would like it better in all ways except losing the 3G.
    With my AT&T ipad, I can pay for my data every 30 days and just cancel it when I don't want it.
    Being that I probably only have it active 1-2 months a year, is there anything out there to do this with a MBA?

2. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm not sure, but I think there might be ways of connecting the MBA to the internet through your iPhone?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Some carriers offer pay-as-you-go USB 3G adapters.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Yes, tethering with your iPhone will probably be the easiest method though this will increase your monthly AT&T bill. A (less-than-legal) alternative would be to jailbreak your iPhone to enable tethering unofficially and just use it as needed, though AT&T has been cracking down on this and adding tethering plans for these users. I have an 11" MBA (just "upgraded" from an older 13" model) and tether (officially) with my iPhone when needed – it's very convenient.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

Too many mobile devices. They don't complement each other well at all.

6. anirudh macrumors 6502

You haven't mentioned your needs. If you don't do anything heavy and RAM intensive, a much better option would be to replace the MBP. Replacing an iPad with an MBA AND having a MBP does not seem wise. But again, its just my opinion :)

7. jojoba macrumors 68000

My H uses this a lot. Works well for him.

8. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

Well, my thinking is this......
    I'm finally ready to ditch my desktop PC.
    I will keep my MBP and hook it to my big monitor to use as a desktop and just use the air when I travel and on the couch.

9. darkheroz macrumors member

I changed my Ipad2 3G with MBA 11'' with external 3G modem. It is OK for now. But mobility of Ipad miss me much :(

10. anirudh macrumors 6502

Just a suggestion, but a MB Air and a TBD is a very good combination. Not only does it give you unparalleled mobility but also desktop class performance (again, since you haven't mentioned what you do with your systems, its hard to say if the Air would suffice in terms of performance as a desktop replacement).