Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliCat82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
So... in talking with someone at Best Buy last night because I just happened to be there, I asked about that whole 3rd parties not able to sell 2 year contracts anymore as of Monday thing because it only figures that my contract is up for renewal on Tuesday (insert string of curses here. Not that I can't go to an AT&T store but that's not the friggin point). He comes out and says I wouldn't save money on it anyway as even grandfathered UDP plans are going to be charged $40 a month for the monthly access charge if they do a 2 year contract on a phone.

Um excuse me? That's news to me. Last I checked, and I've been googling a lot the last week on this, the old grandfathered plans won't have a monthly access charge at all, let alone a $40 one. It's just the $40 upgrade/activation fee. I tried to tell him that, but he was insistent that he was right.

So who's right in that one? Has anyone heard of AT&T starting to charge the monthly access fee to grandfathered customers?

And yes, I've done the math. It's cheaper for me to stay on the grandfathered plan because I'm on it by myself and I use too much data. I can see where those plans can save money for households with multiple phones, but solo users kind of get screwed on them unless you have low data usage.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
So... in talking with someone at Best Buy last night because I just happened to be there, I asked about that whole 3rd parties not able to sell 2 year contracts anymore as of Monday thing because it only figures that my contract is up for renewal on Tuesday (insert string of curses here. Not that I can't go to an AT&T store but that's not the friggin point). He comes out and says I wouldn't save money on it anyway as even grandfathered UDP plans are going to be charged $40 a month for the monthly access charge if they do a 2 year contract on a phone.

Um excuse me? That's news to me. Last I checked, and I've been googling a lot the last week on this, the old grandfathered plans won't have a monthly access charge at all, let alone a $40 one. It's just the $40 upgrade/activation fee. I tried to tell him that, but he was insistent that he was right.

So who's right in that one? Has anyone heard of AT&T starting to charge the monthly access fee to grandfathered customers?

And yes, I've done the math. It's cheaper for me to stay on the grandfathered plan because I'm on it by myself and I use too much data. I can see where those plans can save money for households with multiple phones, but solo users kind of get screwed on them unless you have low data usage.

We have 4 UD lines in a family plan and since we use a lot of data it's not worth it to switch. Our 2 teenagers use data 'like there's no tomorrow'. Our total average data usage between 4 lines is 31GB/month. The only feature we don't get is tethering. No one in the family has ever wanted or needed to tether.

My bill is $195/month with discount NOT including taxes. 700 shared voice with ANY mobile, unlimited text, unlimited data. Unlimited voice on the mobile share doesn't interest me cause most calls are to ANY mobile and I use voice a lot to landlines and use Hangouts to make free calls. We have over 4,000 rollover voice minutes.

One of the best thing about our plan is 2 year device subsidies. I don't mind being locked into a contract cause we use cellular service anyway and I'm pretty happy with AT&T. Upgraded 4 lines to iPhone 6/64GB @ $299.99/each in the last 6 months.

Also now with no hard throttling it's even better.

Never heard AT&T charging $40 monthly access for grandfathered customers. Grandfathered plans pay $10 access per line. We upgraded 4 lines within the last 6 months and it was easy getting $40 upgrade fee waived. It was also easy in the past.

Last edited:

AliCat82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2015
If I believed him, I would have bought the phone last night and been done with it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen something about this whole thing that I had missed. I'm not infallible.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Last time I spoke to someone about phones at best buy mobile was back in 2008 when the iphone 3G came out.
The particular employee also insisted that Apple will put out a software update and the iphone 3G will be able to work on Verizon.
I tried telling him that there's a huge difference between CDMA and GSM tech but he was pretty sure he knew what he was talking about.
I just smiled and walked away:D
That's why I dont ever take AT&T reps or any other sales people seriously on what they supposedly know about future devices, promotions or plan changes cause good chances are they're talking out their rear end:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.