Monthly access charge?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by memorygirl, Aug 14, 2015.

1. memorygirl macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was reading through Verizon's new plans and saw $5 per month for a smartwatch. Is this new? I'm online with customer service and they said there has always been a monthly charge? Maybe I just missed it all along.

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is for smart watches that have built-in cell radios, like the Samsung Gear S, Timex One GPS+, LG, etc.

3. memorygirl thread starter macrumors newbie

The agent said that since I can take a call with the watch, once it's connected there is the $5 fee?

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Youre not taking a call with the watch. The Apple Watch is no more than a Bluetooth headset for your iPhone.

5. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

Go to an actual Verizon store and make them look at your watch. Make them understand that your watch does not connect to any cell towers. They should remove that fee. Your watch is just another blue tooth device. I don't work for Verizon, but I do work for ATT and I can tell you that charging to use your Apple Watch on any carrier is completely unacceptable

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The agent is probably confused, because Verizon has been offering plans for stand alone smart watches for at least a year. The agent probably assumes that the AW has the same capabilities as the other watches they support.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just call Verizon and cancel the watch plan. Do not bother to describe to them why you do not need it as they do not care or understand.

8. papbot macrumors 6502

What he said! As long as there is an option to cancel it, do so. They won't know whether you're using the watch or not.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I believe he is a she.:eek: Also there is NO "won't know" because you CAN'T use the :apple:Watch on Verizon or any cell service. It has no cell radio to do this.

So Newtons Apple has the best answer. Just call, cancel and be done with it or waste $5 a month for no service.

10. papbot macrumors 6502

I think that's what I said and if Newtons Apple is a she I apologize but the advice still holds. They won't know whether you're using the watch or not so cancel whatever service that is. Since it's not needed.

11. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Reading OP's post, it seems clear that she has not actually taken out a Watch plan - she was just reading through Verizon's plans and spotted it.

12. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

No built in LTE radio in the apple watch

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Verizon agents are idiots. Ignore them. there is no way they can detect that you are taking a call with the Apple watch as it behaves like any other Bluetooth headset.

As another person mentioned they are probably referring to smart watches that have their own cellular plan (kind of like the 3G ipad for example).