Monthly Apple iPhone Software Updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by granka, Oct 15, 2007.

1. granka macrumors member

I just finished watching the video that apple posted for the 1.1.1 update and I noticed that he called it the "September Update" which got me thinking will there be a new update every month?

Will the updates now come once a month with one new app every month or are they going to just release these updates to block all of the jailbreaking/unlocking?

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Possibly.

Very late October release for 1.1.2 with that TIFF vulnerability plugged and all the apps to go with Leopard and an a2dp update :).

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think he addressed it as the september update, because it's easier to call it that than the 1.1.1 update; it is not to say that there wouldd be a new update every month.

4. projectle macrumors 6502

Well, we know that there WILL be an update before the UK release.

This is because there are options such as the international keyboard swapping that is not currently present in the 1.1.1 release.

Apple is certain to break the TIFF vulnerability as it by definition is a bug, however the issue here is that with Apple's latest lawsuit, breaking the downgrade->upgrade path would be a MAJOR no-no for them, as they have already been accused of intentionally breaking compatibility for no reason other than to keep the platform closed at the expense of their end users.

They COULD however change the "Restore" method to completely erase the full filesystem prior to restoring, which COULD be seen as a legitimate change in order to "help out" end users whose devices were damaged by upgrading and having some resources in an unrecognized state.

There is nothing that we could do to protect against that one, though.

We COULD manually upgrade the key system files with AppTapp or even directly with SFTP access, at which point we could keep running our Applications all the while getting Apple's enhancements.

This would really be no different than what the "community" does with the PSP.

5. nightelf macrumors 6502

I agree with siurpeeman. Apple tends to identify different versions of Macs on the date they were released: iMac early 2006, iMac mid 2006 and iMac late 2006.

6. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

It has more marketing flare than "The Bricktember Update"

j/k, I think that is part of the bonus with the iPhone. We look forward to these updates.... I know I do.

7. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

It's amazing at how people grasp at whatever they can to feel better about Apple's short comings.