Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
the new monthly lmug.org + maccast.com + macrumors.com London Drinking Event(tm) is coming again on friday (11th)

meet at the back row of the Regent Street Apple Store Theatre at 7pm, then head into town for drinking, chatting and merriment! Bring yourself, bring your friends, meet new people!

Hope to see you there :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I can't make it. I have a previously-arranged dinner engagement. Shame.

Maybe another time.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
If I don't have any real friends can I bring an imaginary one? I could even make one out of various household objects if that's allowed.

Might need a bit of help though, if anyone's got any experience. Anyone?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Abstract said:
Wow, monthly? Why can't any of the other big US cities get members together for a single event? :confused:
We're not social butterflies like tobio and the gang. We prefer to sit at home and timidly post instead of going out and buying rounds of drinks for each other.... we're not that generous. Or that gregarious.

Sounds like fun, though. If I didn't live thousands of miles away, I'd be sure to go.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Sorry, I'll be working overtime on Friday. Bit brassic after the last meetup.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
jsw said:
Sounds like fun, though. If I didn't live thousands of miles away, I'd be sure to go.

Yep, definitely. But as it stands I can't afford both the plane ticket and 20 hours of being inside said plane to get there.

We are such a long, long way from London....

Ah well...

L

Lau

Aww, do you know, I'd love to. But although I can get a budget plane ticket for a few quid, I'm not sure I could afford the rounds of drinks and dinner as well. Maybe next month. :(

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
Well its still close enough to payday for me to not be too skint, but rounds and plane tickets might be too big a stretch for my generosity

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
But what about my imaginary friend? Can't anybody offer some tips or wholesome advice?

L

Lau

tobio said:
Well its still close enough to payday for me to not be too skint, but rounds and plane tickets might be too big a stretch for my generosity

Oh, don't worry. Save your pennies and treat everyone to a round or two.

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
Imaginary friends are welcome as long as they are well behaved, and non-agressive. They don't necessarily have to be talkative but an interest in macs is always a plus. Smaller imaginary friends can be carried easily in case they get tired walking around soho. Make sure to get some imaginary ID for them if they look under 21.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
thedude110 said:
London's in Canada.

No one studies geography anymore.

Yeah, but it's usually referred to as London, Ontario - to avoid confusion I guess.

London, England is sometimes referred to as other things... but not worth risking a banning.:rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
tobio said:
but rounds and plane tickets might be too big a stretch for my generosity

Given a round was too big a stretch last time and your only trip to the bar was to buy yourself a pint despite allowing other MR members to buy you drinks, I'd suggest our non-London members make their own travel arrangements and drink plans. :rolleyes: In fact, the only rounds that were bought that evening (across forums) were those that the MR members offered.

I'll be passing this Friday despite still weighing my options. Currently even the least appealing (bleaching the grouting) has a better £ to satisfaction ratio than the last monthly night out produced.

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
the only rounds that were bought that evening (across forums) were those that the MR members offered.

Touche, or however that works...

I will try to not be too preoccupied with the girl from work this time and play the better host. I wasn't anticipating the group disbanding so soon after food that the chance didn't present itself. It wasn't on purpose believe me.

Applespider

macrumors G4
tobio said:
I will try to not be too preoccupied with the girl from work this time and play the better host. I wasn't anticipating the group disbanding so soon after food that the chance didn't present itself. It wasn't on purpose believe me.

Girl from work? I'm guessing that's why you arrived slightly later. That really didn't bother any of us since I think we all figured it was a flexible evening.

I'm sorry but the chance was there; it was there when you went into the bar and reappeared with a pint for yourself despite others being near the bottom of their glasses. As for the group disbanding, given the vibes that were given out towards the end of the meal, I can't believe that you thought we'd keep going. There was a point when a few of us considered cutting and running before dinner! :p

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
Ok, there was obvously more going on that night than I was aware of. I'm sorry you felt that way.

I'm not going to argue for myself or defend anyone else on the forums on the subject.

Regardless of that, the offer to come out still stands for anyone who is interested. I will do my best to take my "host" role more seriously, and keep spirits high and drinks flowing.

Applespider, I would especially love to see you make it down on friday. I'll PM you

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
Well tonight's the night. I should be there for 7, work is being a bit hectic, There should be a little collection of mac geeks at the top of the stairs from 6:30 onwards, back row of the theatre, genius bar side.

I hope to see as many of you as possible :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.