monthly payments on imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSaygoodbye, May 21, 2009.

1. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

So my brother is planning to get the top of the line iMac doing monthly payments.How exactly is it done? Just bring in a pay stub to the apple store and the frist months bill?or what. thanks guys

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It goes over credit card, as far as I know. Hope you have a good CC history :D

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Usually it is just a line of credit, and you pay the bill online, and either sign up online or in store.

TEG

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Why doesn't he just buy what he can afford? The way I see it, buying a piece of technology on credit is just as silly as putting $500 down on a new car.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah the guy probably doesn't have the full 2K+ cash money to buy his new toy that's why he wants to do it with credit. I also would love to get a new iMac but, just need to save up some dough.

6. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

a credit card will be needed.
    it is okay to buy something on credit if you don't have the full amount yet.
    JUST
    make sure you stay on top of payments, have a steady income.
    and pay a bit more than your monthly bill.
    i know others would disagree, just be careful
    Rob

7. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

we went to the apple store.found out you have to sign up online. hes gonna do it on monday. as for those who say buy somethign he can afford,he can afford it. at the 50$ a month they're gonna charge

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And when he's done paying off his iMac in a few years, he'll have paid twice what it normally costs because of interest.

With exceptions, such as a car or house, if you can't afford it, don't buy it. A computer is never something that should be financed.

No wonder our economy is a mess :rolleyes:

9. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Not only that, but by the time it's paid off, it'll most likely be considered junk compared to what he could get currently.

At this point, I regret computers I bought 10-15 years ago just because of how much I spent. I still have one of them, but I can't use it for much of anything.

10. pearsonownz macrumors newbie

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Something tells me that if "he can afford it. at the 50$ a month they're gonna charge" it won't be paid off in 90 days ;)

12. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Uhhh, if the credit they're offering is the Juniper Bank Card, either use the 90 days same as cash, or find a better alternative. Juniper Bank card isn't worth it, it's a terrible place to do business with, and unfortunately, I know from experience.:(

13. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

like a credit cars

They will run a credit check and then it is like a loan. As long as you make your payments, you are fine.

They will likely use the top three credit reporting companies to decide credit worthiness.

14. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Apple does not do in-house financing. They will most likely refer you to their juniper visa, which you have to apply for.

15. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Intrest is gona kill you why do ppl think when you pay in payments on something its easy like there gona hand you over a product then you are just gona be able to pay for it slowly and they arent gonna get something in return for them giving you a 2000 dollar item for 50 bux a month. Its basically buying something on credit not buying something off a friend. Your gona probally be ending up paying double in the end unless you pay way more than the minimum.

16. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

even if he pays the minimum monthly,which he wont,he wont come anywhere near paying double. i have no clue where you got that idea

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its not worth buying tech on credit, period.

18. slashjunior macrumors regular

There are cheaper forms of credit available. Also, unless it is essential he should just save up for a few months and then buy.

19. emoore macrumors regular

I agree. Don't buy a computer with credit. Sure it may not be double but you have to look at the total cost not just the montly payments. Would you pay $3000 for an iMac? I sure wouldn't. Everyone complains about the price of the iMacs as it is. Then after 5 years he will have just paid off his computer that will be way out of date. Don't do it.

20. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

he would pay 3000$. and hes gonna pay it off waay sooner then 5 years.50$ is just the lowest he can pay monthly but he will pay more than that most if not all months

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It doesn't matter, why should he pay them a dime more than he has to? Tell him to put the money he would use for monthly payments into a savings account and buy the computer once he has enough.

22. RSA.JULIUS macrumors newbie

23. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

24. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

He should buy it at bestbuy and take advantage of the 18months no interest.

25. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Unless you know for sure that you can pay back the entire balance within the interest-free grace period, it's not worth it to buy on credit, otherwise, you're losing money when the interest catches up with you.

If you know that you have x months of no interest payments, and you know you can pay the whole balance in x months, then okay. But otherwise, you'll get hit with interest. :(