Months later, how are you finding it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lightfoot221, Nov 11, 2015.

1. lightfoot221 macrumors newbie

lightfoot221

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in the Apple Watch since it was first announced, and have been putting some money aside ever since. I now have enough to buy it - but after trying it on a couple of times, it turns out I'm now unsure whether to get it.

On the one hand, this things just looks and feels like the future: I'd be aiming for the 42mm Sport model with the new Midnight Blue band, and I really like the way the silver aluminium looks. The operating system feels organic and looks super-clean and is brimming with personality. I run a lot, so I would totally dig the running features, and I really dislike my habit of always checking my phone so I hope that notifications would be cool too. Having my Todoist right on my wrist would be great too.

But then there's the other stuff: it's quite a lot of money, it often needs the iPhone to be on you, and most of my socket ports have already been taken up with other Apple plugs.

It also feels odd to be wearing a piece of technology that millions of others will also have, and that you are dedicating yourself to. If there's quirks about your iPad or computer, it's annoying - but if there's things about the Watch that annoy you, it's made even worse by the fact it's strapped to your arm for almost all the time you're awake.

Some people here have presumably had the Watch since launch - and guessing it's something you'd perhaps keep for 2-3 years - you might have had it for as much of a quarter of its ownership cycle. Are you happy you got it? What would you say to me?

Also, with the recent watchOS wi-fi update, as long as you're in a wi-fi hotspot, do you essentially get all the function of the watch?

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It is on my wrist every day.

In general, it does need your phone nearby to have full functionality. If you are in a WiFi area that you have never been on before, then the watch won't know how to connect. And, the watch will not connect to many public WiFi networks that require a web site to log in or accept terms and conditions.

There is nothing that annoys me about it. The alerts and notifications are subtle and just right.

If you run a lot and are used to a GPS-enabled watch like a Garmin, you will find the AW wanting. However, if you are happy with a somewhat automated stopwatch that shows summary data, the AW will be good.

3. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

I find it as I stagger to the bathroom and pass by the credenza/chest where it sits on its charger. Even in my not yet caffeinated state, I somehow recognize it . . .

As far as function, I find it to be more essential as time passes. Just yesterday, I got an alert for an appointment I'd completely forgotten I'd made.

It is a godsend when I'm teaching, as I don't want students to have their phones out and yet I can use the timer, be notified if there's a message I have to respond to. And today, we had a researcher arriving and he needed to be let into the key coded classroom. I could answer his phone call on my watch! (Entertainment for the students).

4. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I've only had mine for weeks, not months and still like it. I wear it everyday and it does what I bought it for. I keep experimenting with new apps every week and like some, delete others. The apps are kind of week, but I'm happy with what I bought even if there were no apps.

I was already a watch wearer. My main reason for buying was that I was upgrading to a 6s Plus from a smaller phone, and wanted to have to pull it out less often. I also have a really hard time feeling the vibration from my phone, so often miss texts and phone calls. The watch solves that. And lastly, I wanted to be able to track my exercise, which it does OK with.

Other functions I've come to enjoy that I hadn't really thought about:
    - Controlling my music playing via wired headset from my iPhone in my pocket.
    - Having my next appointment clearly in front of me.
    - Using Siri to play music while outside doing yard work and my hands are both dirty ... so don't want to touch my phone.
    - While traveling last week to Paris, I could have my home time visible on my watch along with local time.
    - Weather and sunset time on my watch face.
    - Responding to many texts with my tailored quick responses.
    - Unlocking VPN via 2nd factor authentication (DuoMobile)
    - Sports scores
    - I've gotten a lot more into what notifications I want to receive, so notifications
    - Using Shazam to get scrolling music lyrics on my watch

I have a lot of other apps that I've loaded and not convinced about yet... but this list is all bonus to me over the main reasons I bought it that I listed it above.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Had mine since June and I can't imagine being without it now - it goes on my wrist as soon as I wake up and stays there until I go to bed (apart from when I'm in the shower!)

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I hate it. Because I wear it so often, I don't know what to do all of my other watches anymore. ;)

7. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

I do enjoy my Apple Watch and wear it every day. It's very convenient with tons of functionality. How it comes in handy for me:

1. While I'm in a meeting at work, I can discretely keep track of important notifications via watch.
    2. When I'm out at the movies. " ".
    3. Activity App has gotten me to focus more on my health and being more active.
    4. While Cooking or baking, I can easily set timers via Siri.
    5. Cutting the grass while leaving the phone in the house allows me to still be connected and not miss a beat.

The only negative I can say about the watch is the price. Honestly, it is ridiculous considering I could by an unlocked phone for less. Same could be said for an iPad and other Apple products.

I expect this watch to last me at least 4 years. Upgrading every year or two is not an option for me unless functionality enhancements are off the charts over generation one models.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I love it, I work IT at a rather large company (dun-nah-nah dun-nah-nah) and I get notifications non-stop. It's a dream to continue heading to my next client and know just by looking at my wrist that I can ignore the email that just came in, and the next, and the next....

As for Activity, it's amazing. I've lost 10 pounds since I bought it (went from an ok 150lbs walking ~6 miles a day to 140lbs walking ~9 miles and biking another 10). Nudging works, big time.

9. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

been on my wrist since the 1st week, lost 35 lb with it so far :D

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I love my Watch. It blends into my life so seamlessly, I can't imagine not having it. It's the first thing I put on in the morning. You don't realize how much of a convenience it truly is until you've paired it to your phone and worn it for a couple of days. Trying it on at Apple does it no justice. Also, I suggest getting the stainless model and then getting knockoff Apple bands on eBay or amazon. I got 1:1 replica of Apple's stainless link band, right down to the butterfly clasp, for $60. Milanese loop for $30.

11. matt550 macrumors 6502

I'm torn. I have the black sport band and got a small rash under the band on my arm. Whatever, not a huge deal. Now that I haven't worn the watch for a few days while the rash goes away it's been nice not being tied to my watch. I bought it as a toy anyways. I probably wasn't going to be buying the next generation anyways.

I've had it since launch, while I do love it, I just don't see me buying anymore. But who knows.

12. mitchsaunders macrumors 6502

I wear mine every day. Love it. Have customised the bands twice (went from black -> pink (clone - they got the colour wrong) -> red (clone, right colour)).
    Friends at school still tap my watch every day and muck around with it. Works great for me. Only problem I've had so far is that dirt has gotten into the crown and making it hard to turn and push the Digital Crown. Fixed that last night by following Apple's notes. Working great now.
    Definitely a good purchase, got it since launch (although expensive for someone of my age, anyway). My model is in the signature.

13. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I think it's great, definitely a daily use item and very handy sometimes. Paid $1000 CAD for it, but i think it's worth it....

14. melman101 macrumors 68030

My only complaint is that apps are soooo slow to load.

15. Newtons Apple, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but my AW lives in my drawer. While I enjoyed it very much at first, I found it still required me to pull out my phone most of the time to make or answer calls and send and receive texts. I was greatly disappointed in the AW's fitness aspects and went back to my Fitbit devices.

The watch is not for everyone but the only way to know if it is for you is to try it out. I hope you enjoy. I love my S+ and enjoy using it.

16. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

You look quite young if the avatar is really you. So maybe your still in school and the I would say for work related tasks it depends on what you are doing. For the private part I'd like to say 'hallelujah' it really is nice to have the watch. (I own the 38mm sport model). I do my groceries with it and answer my texts with Siri. And no I don't care talking to my watch because EVERYONE seems to talk on speakerphone nowadays. I feel integrated with the masses again. For reminders or silent alarm it is nice as well for cooking and of course work out.
    I would not part with it no more. But as a tech junky I will update the minute the 2nd Gen. comes out. It can only become better.
    I did a trip to Vienna in summer and had my train tickets at my wrist, the time of arrival and as well had directions from some point in the city back to the central station (or any other point) without having my phone out every time. It is very convenient when you can stroll through the city without your one hand being glued to the phone. After some taps you have learned when to turn right or left and will find your destination effortlessly.

17. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

I wear it every day, and have for months.

The apps (for the most part) are a disappointment, but if you're going into it thinking it'll be an iPhone replacement you're going to be disappointed.

One app is great - Overcast. The rest are *meh* in my opinion.

I enjoy the health tracking and the notifications - keeping my from starting at my phone all day is great, and will keep the watch on my wrist for a long time to come.

18. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I've owned a stainless 42mm leather loop model since June. Love it. OS2.0 really improved performance and functionality. Third party apps are still too slow for me to use regularly, but the core functions are terrific. Looks great, feels great, and is very useful. My main uses are: handling texts, notifications, and alarms from my wrist, using siri for cooking timers and reminders, my morning alarm clock, and checking the time. I also check the outside temp on it every morning, and occasionally glance at emails, tweets, or weather forecasts.

My wife went with the silver aluminum and it looks great. I would definitely choose that over the space grey aluminum, which I started off with but returned for the stainless. I don't like the dark matte, personally. My wife's silver aluminum watch looks great with any band. She has the Milanese Loop and loves it.

The leather loop looks great and is infinitely adjustable, but I personally can't dial in the comfort level exactly where I want it. The sport band (which I also have) is much more comfortable because it's so soft. I'm fine with the loop - comfort isn't a major issue, but I've been longing for the link bracelet. It just looks so amazing. Maybe this Christmas...

19. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Still best smart watch money could buy.

iPhone 6+ $850
    AW SS $600
    Not missed another call/message/email/notification at THAT EXACT MOMENT again without have to hand hold my iPhone , stare at iPhone all the time, and unlock my iPhone 50 times a day, priceless.

20. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

Haven't had it for months yet, but almost 2 weeks in and i'm loving it more and more. It's a great tool and great companion to an iphone (makes me take out and use my iphone waaaay less, which is a good thing).

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Very few developers are writing apps for the watch.

22. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

How do you define few, more?
    Was there a survey, or just simply your "guess"?

23. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

My guess is that it was a guess! :)

It seems to me that I'm seeing more and more iPhone apps showing the little AppleWatch features icon. So someone is writing in them.

24. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Personally I'm not worried about it. The Apple Watch is more enjoyable/useful if you focus on the core functions you need most and stay conservative about how much you try to do with third party apps. All the major productivity/communication apps appear to have Watch companion apps if you need them. My advice is don't install or try to use too many of those and stick with apps that load fast and can be easily glanced at.

25. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

That's fine. A lot of apps shouldn't be on a watch anyway.

The Real Racing franchise has an AW extension, but why? Nobody's going to drive a virtual car by wiggling their wrist.