Montreal

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by smallcoffee, Mar 27, 2017.

1. smallcoffee, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Gf and I are heading to Montreal in the next few months. Recommendations for things to do and places to eat???

2. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

Juliette & Chocolat, either location, Chocolate restaurant and desserts
    Au Pied De Cochon, Foie gras and such, excellent French fries cooked in pork fat
    Montreal Botanical Garden

Don't go to the strip clubs unless you enjoy throwing away money--you're expected to pay for everything and tip everyone.

3. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome thanks for the suggestions. Yeah we won't be going to any strip clubs. Never really been something I found enjoyable.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Is the Crêpe Breton chain still around? We used to go regularly.

Place des Arts is beautiful. Depends on what your interests are.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Learn to speak a few phrases (or more) in French.

I found Montreal to be a lovely and fascinating city, but I don't speak a word of French. I was not treated too well as a result. I had gone there under the impression that the city was largely bilingual - it sort of is, but French is by FAR preferred over English.

6. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

My gf speaks French :) . Well not natively but we should be fine. I spent a while in France too so I'm comfortable with it. Thanks though

7. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

There's a French side and an English side; and downtown is mixed. But is entirely bilingual. My wife and I both speak French but her accent sounds foreign, whereas mine tends to sound rather local wherever I go. She'd ask for something in French and get a response in English, I ask in French and get a French response. Outside of Montréal, say Québec City, and they answer me in English.

Anyway, it's always appreciated if one takes the time to learn a few things in the local language, but pronunciation is always fun!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    People will answer her in English; if one's accent is foreign most people will reply in English. It's extremely annoying. I just keep speaking in French, they keep replying in English.... it's so common that even people from France, who don't speak a word of English, get responses in it.

8. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's too funny. Thanks for letting me know what to expect!

9. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

That's largely because locals know that non locals will understand English much better than the Quebec French, and people from France will be so confused by Quebec French that it's so much easier to reply in English.

And well sometimes it's just more fun to watch foreigners try to make sense of what you're saying :D

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The difference between French and Quebecois is bigger than American and Australian. I was at the Orlando airport with my boss and his wife about 30 years back. We were on the shuttle going between terminals, standing. There was a couple sitting behind us, chattering away in French, clearly (to me) from somewhere in Quebec. When we got our the shuttle I mentioned it to my bosses wife, a Parisian who was in the US for the first time. She didn't even recognize the language they were speaking as French.

11. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

The reason doesn't matter; it's annoying and, frankly, rude. Locals don't "know that non locals will understand English much better than the Quebec French" that's an assumption, and the assumption doesn't change even when proven wrong. If you do this, pleas stop :) Also, very few people from France speak English--it's pretty much the most unilingual country in (continental) Europe, so they'll be more confused by the English o_O

12. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I do not work with the public, so i do not do this.

It's ironic that you say that French people are confused by English when they have integrated so many english words into their day to day talk.

13. Roller macrumors 68020

Having grown up in Montreal, I never had any problems with language. English-speaking friends from elsewhere have told me that they've not encountered any difficulty during visits there, either.

Montreal is a world-class city with much to do. If you're going to be there in summer, check out the International Jazz Festival (June 28 to July 8) and the Just for Laughs comedy festival (July 12 to July 31). There's lots of entertainment at other times, too.

As for places to eat, if you like corned beef or pastrami, you'll love the smoked meat at Schwartz's Deli on Boulevard St-Laurent, a fixture since 1928. Montreal bagels are also not to be missed. They're widely available, including at the St-Viateur Bagel Bakery.

14. Wondercow, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

Wondercow macrumors 6502a

But at least they don't use « bienvenu » in place of « de rien » :p
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2017 ---
    I don't know why those escaped me when I first wrote my reply! Yes, OP, go to Schwartz's Deli, just be prepared to line up, outside, for up to an hour! Also, don't go for a quiet, romantic setting; you'll be at a table with other people, stuffed into a tiny storefront space, with lots going on around you. Get in, eat, get out. The St-Viateur bagels are great, and I don't like bagels ;) Buy them with some cream cheese, grab some extras from the shops around the street, and head up the mountain for a picnic :cool:

And if you do decide to try Au Pied de Cochon make a reservation if possible.

Edit
    The Jean-Talon Market is a nice walk and some great food and food accessories.

15. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Yes, "integrated". That's how a language evolves no?

Wheras in Quebec they sort of make point of translating english literally, often resulting in misplaced words that don't mean much in french, or worse that look lame, because the sense is lost, the subtlety of what's being said is gone, because to have the same exact meaning in french, you'd use different words. That's a concept that completely escapes them. I always laugh when they say they speak a better french than the french themselves. They don't speak french here, they speak some sort of french-inspired, grammatically challenged dialect, I've been living in Montreal for more than 20 years and I still can't stand it. When I hear people talk french in Montreal, I'd prefer using english all the time, even if my english is not perfect.

After all this time I haven't lost my parisian accent and I'm proud of that accomplishment e-v-e-r-y d-a-y. ;)

@OP, go to the Old Port and look for a restaurant called Bonaparte :)

16. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Then maybe you should pack your sh*t up and go back home.

:)

17. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

hehe... I knew my previous post was going to touch a nerve... There are many things that I enjoy about living here don't get me wrong, but many doesn't have to be all of them.

18. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

You have to admit there's reason to be triggered. I wouldn't dream of going to Paris and telling them I think it's stupid to be using "shopping" and "parking" and "black" instead of the completely valid translations :)

19. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Point taken. However it doesn't change the fact that literal translation sometimes (often?) doesn't end up with the same sense, or original intention. Just look at movie titles and dubbed movies - I watched a good number of "dubbed in quebec" versions years ago, which I don't do anymore - that makes the whole film almost unwatchable. I hate dubbed movies so in France I went for the subtitled presentations. Here in MTL it's either dubbed or english (which is understandable). The thing is people don't really care since they understand english very well.

So yeah, I guess I get a little sensitive when it comes to "Quebec french" vs. "France french". When you see how people write (emails, letters, etc) and how many errors there are in their sentences, there's a problem that goes way deeper than just translating shopping and parking to magasinage and stationnement.

Anyways, I don't want to derail the thread more than I already did, so apologies OP for going off topic, and my intent was never to criticize Montreal and its people, despite my little rant about "the language"......

20. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo