Monument Valley Developers Unveil New 'Alba: a Wildlife Adventure' Game Coming to iOS and macOS

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ustwo Games, the studio that created the popular Monument Valley and Assemble With Care games for iPhones and iPads, today unveiled a new upcoming title, "Alba: a Wildlife Adventure."

Little has been revealed about the game at this time, but it will feature titular character and activist Alba, with players able to experience a "Mediterranean Summer filled with friendship, family and nature" as Alba visits her grandparents to explore wildlife with her friend Ines.

Based on a description of the game, Alba sees an animal in danger and decides to do something about it, forming a wildlife league to save the animals of the island.

Alba: a Wildlife Adventure is set to be released this winter and it will be available for iOS, macOS, tvOS, PCs, and consoles.

Article Link: Monument Valley Developers Unveil New 'Alba: a Wildlife Adventure' Game Coming to iOS and macOS

Reactions: Huck

Tekguy0

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2020
Sounds cool. Looking forward to trying it. I wonder how the experience will be different across platforms...

Reactions: Huck

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
I'm always down to play a game that sounds like somebody trying to remember the surname of the guy who played Charles Miner on The Office.

Marbles1

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2011
Will it be universal purchase app?

Do any apps support ‘universal purchase’ (buy once on iOS or Mac and you have it for both platforms)?

vadimyuryev

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017

apparatchik

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
The article does say it's for PCs and consoles, as well as Apple hardware.
Apple Arcade exclusive, at least to Apple, means not available on Android or on iOS/Mac outside Arcade. It can be available for consoles and other desktop OS and the web, and still be Arcade exclusive.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
What passes for games in Apple Arcade.. really?
Playstations, Xboxes ,Switches, PC's are where the games are found if your over 4 years old. Mac games have been , er, a disappointment. I am NOT looking forward to " Buy 200 Gems for 50 bucks" on My Mac.

It's simple. If Arm Mac's cant compete with AMD or Nvidia in graphics, be prepared for useless phone games, with " Sync anywhere" as some amazing feature. Games that look like they were designed in a garage in 1980.. yet hearleded as masterpieces.

I am so glad I built a Windows Game machine. Steam works.

apparatchik

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
What passes for games in Apple Arcade.. really?
Playstations, Xboxes ,Switches, PC's are where the games are found if your over 4 years old. Mac games have been , er, a disappointment. I am NOT looking forward to " Buy 200 Gems for 50 bucks" on My Mac.

It's simple. If Arm Mac's cant compete with AMD or Nvidia in graphics, be prepared for useless phone games, with " Sync anywhere" as some amazing feature. Games that look like they were designed in a garage in 1980.. yet hearleded as masterpieces.

I am so glad I built a Windows Game machine. Steam works.
Apple chips are industry leading in terms of graphics performance on every metric (perf per watt, thermals, etc) for their size and envelope. The graphic power of current iPhones is 2-3 times that of a Switch and comparable to last-gen consoles, on a device 1/20th the size. IMHO one of the major improvements coming to Macs with the transition is the switch from poor Intel integrated graphics to Apple's GPUs.

Now, as you mentioned, there's the inevitable issue of market and developer support. Apple should outright buy some AAA studios to develop exclusives for the ecosystem, playable from iPhone to Apple TV, to jumpstart a shift in the current trend.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
Great points.
I agree of the power of these chips. But if we have IOS games to look forward too its pay to win, or Apple Arcade bore me to death.

I 1000% agree if serious, Apple should outright buy an AAA producer.

jwalesh96

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
As a user of multiplatforms, i disagree with the whole "outright buy AAA devs" sentiment. I prefer it to be on multiple platforms and not just tied to one app store that way more people can enjoy it and nobody is locked to any platform. If its on apple's platform then thats great and we can encourage devs to come to the platform by rewarding their efforts. If apple wants to get an exclusive deal for a limited time thats another option. I can totally understand the opposite from a business point of view though, but wouldn't like it from a consumer point of view.
- - Post merged: - -

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors 604
Mar 20, 2007
Virginia
As a user of multiplatforms, i disagree with the whole "outright buy AAA devs" sentiment. I prefer it to be on multiple platforms and not just tied to one app store that way more people can enjoy it and nobody is locked to any platform. If its on apple's platform then thats great and we can encourage devs to come to the platform by rewarding their efforts. If apple wants to get an exclusive deal for a limited time thats another option. I can totally understand the opposite from a business point of view though, but wouldn't like it from a consumer point of view.
- - Post merged: - -
Platform exclusives are a good way to show off a specific feature that your competition doesn't have (Nintendo does this often). They are also a way of getting folks to buy your platform (God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted).

jwalesh96

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
Platform exclusives are a good way to show off a specific feature that your competition doesn't have (Nintendo does this often). They are also a way of getting folks to buy your platform (God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted).
Totally understand that and I don't disagree from a business perspective (in terms of apple) but think consumer wise and possibly dev wise (more platforms could reach to broader audience )its better not. Don't like it when it happens on other platforms either but it makes business sense. Now if they help fund development and have limited time exclusivity I'd be more cool with that.

Reactions: apparatchik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.