Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Hey guys just noticed something recently Its been extremly hot outside today in fact the expected high for our city is suposed to be 112F according to the weather channel. I'm also now runing QuiteMBP and it seems combined with higher ambiet temps(athough AC is cranking away) and that runing to keep my macbook from whineing at me it has increased my cpus idle temp to 72C which is well out of the moo range were as it was right at 66C-67C before. I'm beting it has to do more with the antiwhine program runing using up cpu thus making it warmer but its something you might want to try if your macbook moos as well. Well at least when its hooked up to AC otherwise you lose battery life.

Just thought I would post my findings here.

side note I bet I couldnt use this thing outside right now ;)
tak about a flaming macbook heh.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Interesting findings mrweirdo. :)

mrweirdo said:
side note I bet I couldnt use this thing outside right now ;)
tak about a flaming macbook heh.

LOL :D Don't do that, bringing an already hot MacBook into the super-hot outside air cold produce a nuclear meltdown! :eek: ;) :D

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
dmw007 said:
Interesting findings mrweirdo. :)

Talk about a paradox! But seriously, don't melt your MB. That would send bitter shockwaves throughout the Mac Community.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
ironic23 said:
Talk about a paradox! But seriously, don't melt your MB. That would send bitter shockwaves throughout the Mac Community.

True, desecrating a brand-new Mac might get you banned from MacRumors for life! :eek: ;) :D

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yeah, that makes sense. As you say, the moo only occurs in a certain range; lower and the fans are off, higher and they stay on.

Also, may I suggest an alternative to "quiet macbook pro?" Revert to IOUSBFamily 2.4.6 as explained in this thread (jb84 should get post of the year for his explanation!). You'll be able to use the mirror widget or photobooth hacks again meaning totally eliminating the whine without any use of processor power or loss of battery life. :D

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
nah I wouldnt do that expecialy after spending 1,600 on this thing and not to mention the fact that it would just be plain wrong ;)

It made me think though man if some new computer userout there just bought a brand new mac and decided to use it outside in that kind of heat theres no way it would hold up as hot as these things allready get. I havent checked but I wonder what the operation temp range apple has set for these things.

Thanks for the tip about the usb thing. Ill give it a try expecialy because keeping QuietMBP open is kind of annyoing to me not to mention the batterylife waisted athough I dont run my macbook off the batery that often.

Now if only apple offered up a perminent fix for the fan moo I would be happy. I got my macbook off amazon and have tried to return it for a newer build multiple times but their customer service is worthless so it looks like I'm stuck with this macbook thats perfect besided the wine and moo. Havent found a way to get to the closest apple store to see what they can do for me under warrenty yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.