Mophie Announces Next Generation of Powerstation External Battery Lineup

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 30, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mophie today announced the next generation of its Powerstation family of external batteries, focused on delivering extra battery power to multiple devices in different situations. The complete Powerstation family now includes the new Charge Force Powerstation and Powerstation USB-C alongside updates to the Powerstation Plus and Powerstation lines.

[​IMG]

The first new device is the Charge Force Powerstation, an extension of Mophie's wireless charging ecosystem. The device is compatible with all Charge Force Juice Pack cases as well as other Qi wireless charging-enabled devices. It delivers 10,000 mAh of battery capacity, which Mophie says is nearly 5X additional battery life for most smartphones.

The redesigned Powerstation Plus upgrades its built-in charging cable with a new switch-tip, allowing users to easily adapt the cable for either iOS or Android devices. The new, slimmer design comes in Space Gray, Gold, and Rose Gold and three storage configurations: the 4,000 mAh Powerstation Plus mini ($59.95), the 6,000 mAh Powerstation Plus ($79.95), and the 12,000 mAh Powerstation Plus XL ($99.95). However, the XL version does not come in Gold. The Plus also comes with a second USB port that allows users to charge two mobile devices at the same time.

The fourth-generation Powerstation line also sees a redesign, with colored aluminum plates on the top and bottom of the devices. This line comes in four upgraded storage configurations: the 3,000 mAh Powerstation mini ($29.95), the 6,000 mAh Powerstation ($49.95), the 10,000 mAh Powerstation XL ($69.95), and the 20,000 mAh Powerstation XXL ($99.95). Mophie says the XXL, which is only available in Space Gray and Rose Gold, is the largest capacity universal battery the company has offered to date.

The Powerstation comes in White, Space Gray, Rose Gold, and Gold while the Powerstation XL comes in Space Gray, Rose Gold and Gold. Mophie says the Powerstation mini is inspired by the street art of Los Angeles, coming with the bolder color options of pink, blue, purple, black, and white.

[​IMG]

Finally, the Powerstation USB-C is a 10,000 mAh battery in an aluminum casing that comes with both USB-C and USB-A charge ports with cables included. Mophie touts that the device is capable of powering "all past, current, and future smartphones." It's available for $99.95.

The new Powerstation and Powerstation Plus external battery packs are currently available on Mophie's website, while the Charge Force Powerstation and Powerstation USB-C are coming soon to Mophie.com and select retailers.

Article Link: Mophie Announces Next Generation of Powerstation External Battery Lineup

2. Asarien macrumors 6502

Good job, Mophie. Seems like they have their stuff together.

3. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Only thing I don't like about these "power stations" is that they are impractical to use.. Most of the time when we need to use these, we are generally out and about. It's an inconvenience when you to use these. As in the way you have to hold your phone while it charges.. It's always in the way..

Also, that first picture is a pretty fake "operation situation". Everybody here would use their computer to charge their phone if they were using it.

4. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Horribly overpriced compared to Anker, RAVPower, etc.

5. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

Good observation. Who wants to hold their phone onto the battery or purchase rubber bands?

MacBook charges the iPhone pretty fast too!

6. iClone macrumors regular

I love mophie and have owned a few products, but they are extremely over priced.

7. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

8. ThaRuler macrumors regular

ThaRuler

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Mophie is decent, but you can't beat Ankers price points.

10. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

You pay for good customer service and quality control.

11. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

A lot of people have had good customer service and quality control from Anker for a fraction of Mophie's prices.

The new Powerstation mini looks nice and thin though, could be useful for a few specific situations.

12. ogun7 macrumors regular

ogun7

My Anker battery was dead on arrival. I have to pay for shipping to get it 'fixed' and a 3 week turnaround time. I'll pay the difference for better design and customer service.

13. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

You clearly don't know how good Anker's customer service is.

I have never had to pay to ship to Anker. Hell, they have replaced products for me without having to return defective product.They even shipped me a replacement screen protector because I cracked one while trying to remove it from the original packaging. Anker has one of the best customer service I have ever received. Thousands of such experiences on the internet.

14. Di4mondz macrumors regular

Why would you want a Qi charging battery bank.. [​IMG]

15. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Way overpriced. The design is nice but it certainly doesn't justify costing 2x or more what others charge for the same capacity. Just purchased the best selling 10,000mAh battery pack on Amazon for just $20 the other day. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what these things look like as long as they get the job done.

16. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Here is another overpriced example https://www.getbatterybox.com/products/batterybox

17. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Ouch. Guess they have to pay a lot to buy an Apple charger, cut the cable off, then attach it to a battery pack that can't cost more than $50.

18. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Magsafe and Magsafe 2 cables cost like $5-$10 on ebay.

19. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

A MacBook is much harder to carry-and-charge-from when you're out and about. I play a game called Ingress (the predecessor to Pokémon Go), which eats batteries, so all the serious players end up with external batteries. Most put them in a pocket and run a cable from there to the phone; it isn't particularly inconvenient, especially if you need the power. I use a small runner's pouch on my belt to hold the battery (and the cable when I'm not using it). A friend of mine went the other way and 3D-printed a holder for the phone and battery, to make it a single thing in your hand, complete with a strap around the back of your hand (looking at thingiverse it appears he's now done variants using the small cylindrical "lipstick style" batteries for his kids).

So in answer to your question (who wants to hold/purchase), people sufficiently motivated to have lots more battery power (this isn't a cry for larger iPhone batteries - I'd love that, but not 10,000 mAh worth), will find ways to deal.

20. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I'm hoping the USB-C charging will fix that situation but I've been a bit disappointed with them considering too they were backed by Y-Combinator

21. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Apple originals and not used?

22. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

No, Apple barely if ever licenses those.

23. SpecialApple, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

SpecialApple macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---