Mophie iPhone 5 Cases - Slide-in...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ajhard, Apr 29, 2013.

1. ajhard macrumors member

Hi,

I have read lots about the new Mophie cases being better as they are slide-in, which sounds great, however they are not all! I have bought one of each (Helium and Air) in the UK (from Apple stores) and both have been snap in with a different design at the bottom to the pics I have seen here which show a slide-in design. Does anyone know why, or where I can get a slide-in one??

Thanks

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

Don't buy them from an Apple store. Apple has their own versions.

3. ajhard thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That is rubbish... Does anyone know any retailers in the UK stocking the slide-in ones?

Cheers

4. CanesDrew macrumors regular

CanesDrew

If you have Best Buy in the UK, they sell both.

5. ajhard thread starter macrumors member

We used to, but not anymore...

6. CanesDrew macrumors regular

CanesDrew

Can't you order online?

7. ajhard thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure I can from Mophie, but I imagine that will take quite a while to ship from the US, I was hoping to find a shop here with stock...

8. CanesDrew macrumors regular

CanesDrew

Yep. I hear ya. Yeah I went into Best Buy and tried out both Mophies and I like the Air better. Covered buttons and a slightly larger battery.

9. stcizzle macrumors regular

Would anyone care to elaborate on why apple has mophie build their models differently and why they are not as good as the mophie versions? Thanks!!!

10. CanesDrew macrumors regular

CanesDrew

From what I've heard is that in order for Mophie to sell them in Apple Stores, they have to meet Apple's specifications. They are probably the most functional they're just not what we prefer.

11. Elevon macrumors regular

12. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

When the iPhone 4 released, slider style cases typically put a lot of stress on the back glass and also the metal antenna band. In turn, certain slider cases scratched the antenna band as they installed and also when dropped, could potentially crack the back. Not all cases but a few.

So Apple decided that no slider cases could be Apple ceritified. As such companies either had to retool their cases or have them removed from the Apple store. It's the reason the Incase Slider and a bunch of other popular casees disappeared as well. Also, all cases are required to dock.

Mophie now makes two versions of each case for the iPhone 5. I'm not truly sure why they do two versions now though. For the iPhone 4 versions they already had the slider styles finished and released before the rule from Apple kicked in so that explains the snap-on variants in the Apple store but it really is odd now. Maybe another Apple change in certifications.