Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yomibro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
For those of you who purchased the above product have you noticed a decrease in reception on your iPhone after you install it? I noticed that my reception bars went down from 5 to 3 (ocasionally it will go up to 4), removed the mophie unit and it went back to 5 bars.

Tried this at different spots in my house, at work and even outside in the parking lot and so far it's been the case every single time.

seafood10

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
I bought a Mophie the other day and also notice that reception is compromised when my 3g is in it, I am going to take it back and stick with my external Lenmar.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Well think about if for a second, you are wrapping your iPhone in an electronic device, a battery. So it would make sense that you could lose some reception because the iPhone uses an internal antenna.

yomibro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I have a ticket number from their automated customer service system since last Friday, so far I have not heard back. Also noticed in the past few days that when using the MJAP in conjunction with the iPhone battery it won't last more then 24 hours before it's fully drained, my iPhone battery alone with the same usage can last me at least 2 days before it drains completely. Probably end up returning it if I don't hear from them by end of this week.

jamespa66

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Kenosha, WI
I just wish I would receive mine. Called a couple times and no one there can tell me anything other than they are working on it. Beginning to dread doing business with them. They got my money I got nothing :mad:

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Be patient, the high demand has caused a back order. Should Mophie had anticipated the demand? Of course they should have!

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
If you live close to an Apple Store, you can pick one up easily. I just did. The first thing I noticed was it's a little bulky.

yomibro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Been using it for over two weeks now, I guess what they advertise by "double iPhone battery" is sort of true. If I let my iPhone battery drain all the way under normal use, the juice pack will almost charge the iPhone battery 100% (I would say maybe 90%+ but not 100%).

Regarding the reception loss/diminishing issue I don't mind it that much right now, I kinda like that additional charge time since I don't download that much data on the iPhone anyway.

Like some other folks have commented in another thread it is kinda bulky once it's on and that that glossy finish is a finger print magnet which drives me nuts (satin finish would have been nice). :mad:

therockk

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Hi, Well i also noticed after buying the Juice Pack Air that the reception was very low. Now did they fix this problem yet? because i love the product it triples my battery life. Only flaw is this reception bit. Any information would be highly appreciated.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I am not sure what you expect Mophie to do about it. Since the iPhone has an internal antenna surrounded by electronics and the Mophie case is an electrical enclosure with more electronics, due to the battery pack, I don't see what they can do.

SuperKat

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
In A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Juice Pack

I just got my Juice Pack Air but haven't used it yet. It took two days to come, I ordered direct from Mophie.
I wanted it basically for when I use Motion GPS on bike rides. That app is great but KILLS my battery!
Anyway, the case it kind of hard to get off. Hope it breaks in a bit!

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Didn't notice if it affected reception. I returned it the next morning because it's too heavy and bulky.

CopyCatz

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
After waiting 6 weeks for my juicepack air to arrive in the Netherlands, the top part broke into 3 pieces after 2 days of use. It is very hard to remove the top cover without having to apply a large amount of force. And if you do obviously it breaks. Mophie promptly sent me a replacement top part, but it arrived also broken through ups. I managed to glue this one together, but I would really suggest an aluminum top cover for version two as the plastic used now is way too thin. I can't really use the juicepack in situations where you need the iphone out of the case quickly, so I guess I'll just have to leave it in.

Now that turn by turn nav is out I'm looking to purchase navigon, but does anyone know of a car holder that will hold the iphone + juicepack air? I'd like to have some kind of clamp system, not the generic holders. Those things practically launch pda's when you break hard.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Out of 5 stars being a must have, what is your overall rating on the juice pack air now that you have used it and know some of the issues? Is it something you would recommend to others?
Thanks...

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Ok, picked up a black Juice Pack Air today at the Apple Store. The guy said I was lucky to get one as they just restocked and they sell out as soon as they come in.
Anyway, I'm going to live with it for a while and let you all know what I think.
My first impression is that it is bigger than I thought and as some have reported it does impair the 3GS signal.
It seems well constructed and I do like the look of it. I'm anxious to see how it performs in my day to day usage.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I can't get over how people think it's big. It's so thin for being a battery for crying out loud! :p

That is certainly true...I should have been more specific as to my meaning...
It was larger than it looked on the youtube videos I saw and the pictures on the mophie website...at least to me...
In real life though it is very sturdy and after having it on for a while it does seem like you don't really notice it being on there albeit it does nearly double the weight IMO...
This seems to be a fine product that I am very very happy with. As a power user (I'm on this thing almost 10 hours a day counting evening use) doing everything from phone calls to texting, email, music, video, podcasts, surfing the web, IM'ing and playing graphic intense games (Sonic the hedgehog is my current obsession). The JPA is so far as outstanding a product as I have ever purchased for any iPod/iPhone (and I have had 12 iPods and two iPhones and dozens of accessories)...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Out of 5 stars being a must have, what is your overall rating on the juice pack air now that you have used it and know some of the issues? Is it something you would recommend to others?
Thanks...

agreed. my friend uses one on the golf course and never has to worry about running out of juice, no pun intended, whe using his golf GPS program.
I use it for days like tomorrow, jimmy buffett concert where I will be tethering, taking lots of pictures and messaging

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
agreed. my friend uses one on the golf course and never has to worry about running out of juice, no pun intended, whe using his golf GPS program.
I use it for days like tomorrow, jimmy buffett concert where I will be tethering, taking lots of pictures and messaging

Excellent info...thank you...
Fins to the left...Fins to the right...:D

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
That is certainly true...I should have been more specific as to my meaning...
It was larger than it looked on the youtube videos I saw and the pictures on the mophie website...at least to me...
In real life though it is very sturdy and after having it on for a while it does seem like you don't really notice it being on there albeit it does nearly double the weight IMO...
This seems to be a fine product that I am very very happy with. As a power user (I'm on this thing almost 10 hours a day counting evening use) doing everything from phone calls to texting, email, music, video, podcasts, surfing the web, IM'ing and playing graphic intense games (Sonic the hedgehog is my current obsession). The JPA is so far as outstanding a product as I have ever purchased for any iPod/iPhone (and I have had 12 iPods and two iPhones and dozens of accessories)...

I'm really tempted by one of these, but a bit concerned about the extra bulk and weight. How comfortable is it in use, and does it compromise the "pocketability" of the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.