Mophie Juicepack Pro + Powerstation Pro

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by User24, Jun 21, 2013.

1. User24 macrumors newbie

As the Juicepack Pro lost about 75% of its endurance over about a year, I went ahead and cable tied a Powerstation Pro to the backside.

Battery problems solved. After the mod I could ride with GPS/Wifi enabled/Bluetooth music/Data enabled, with total impunity.

Pictured is an Iphone4, with Spigen glass screen protector, with Invisible Shield back case protector, with Juicepack Pro (transducer covers and plastic screen removed), with Powerstation Pro.

The cable ties were 8 inch, and I had to use 4 of them. If cinched too tight, it could bubble up the Spigen glass screen protector as it warped the adhesion and allowed some air in.

I basically never used the internal battery for a year, just kept it on constant charge via the Mophie Juicepack Pro. Wearing the Juicepack down instead of the internal battery. Due to that habit, the internal battery is still in very good health.

Still holding out on a Juicepack Pro for Iphone 5/5s/etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OmegaRunner macrumors newbie

OmegaRunner

With the black zip ties, the Power Station is not even that noticeable.

Seriously, do you carry the phone everyday like that? How long can you go between charges?

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Let me get this straight.

You have a poor quality 2500mAh battery sleeve that only has 1/4 its rated capacity, and the fix is to have a 6600mAh power pack strapped to its backside. The phone's internal battery never gets a chance to be used normally because you don't want to selectively enable the various power-hungry network bits when you really need to use them.

One very expensive battery sleeve that makes the phone worse than it should because Mophie's engineers screwed up the design, and one very expensive power pack. You can get a 18000mAh pack shipped for the same price as a Powerstation Pro at retail, seriously.

This looks more awful than a Samsung S3/4 with an extended battery. :eek:

4. User24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Before, at the end of the day a Juicepack would be at 25% or even 0%, starting to use the internal battery.

Now, the most I've taken off the Powerstation is 25%. It starts charging from the 75% capacity light. This leaves me enough room to account for battery wear, but hopefully will have better lifespan than the Juicepack.

5. User24, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

User24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response. I have no doubt that many share your view on this.

To address some of your questions, the Juicepack started life normally. But after many months, the performance was not the same. Whether this was due to a design flaw, battery quality, or charging circuit issue, I was not sure.

One issue I had with internal battery use, was just how hot the phone got with heavy use. I liked the idea of not using its battery, to keep that heat away and to prolong the life of the electronics. The daily routine of turning on/off services, closing apps, just got old for me.

Since the Powerstation was on backorder everywhere, when I saw a rare black color out in the retail wild, I was forced to snatch it up immediately. Aesthetically, the rubberized, industrial design was a perfect match for my existing case. The sleek metal back with contrasting allen bolts was a great touch.

I was aware of the various, "inexpensive" large capacity USB chargers out there. But aesthetics, ruggedness, and portability tipped my decision. Not to mention the dangers of buying rechargeable batteries made in China, sold online by small-time foreign sellers.

Pricewise, it was a non-issue for me and didn't factor into my actions.

I was very lucky, that the vertical offset needed to keep the camera lens free, lined up with the rubber blocks on both devices. Those helped to keep the zipties in place, while not fully blocking the home button, while keeping all battery indicator buttons accessible, and indicator leds visible.

6. jcpb macrumors 6502a

If the battery sleeve is still under Mophie's warranty, call the company and have it serviced. Don't sit on it until the warranty is almost expired.
    That is typical behavior for a phone running under load.
    By not using the internal battery normally, you are actually shortening its useful life over time. Also, the phone's electronics are tolerant of operating under high temperatures while under load. Your fears are unwarranted.

A replacement iPhone 4S battery costs less than $10 shipped, and it's incredibly easy to replace it.
    The only network feature I do not turn off at all times is WiFi.

GPS (Location Services): you can restrict its usage to a few specific applications. If the app prefers you enable its usage for the "best experience", it means the app does not need it to function. Personally I only enable it for the camera apps, Google Maps (both browser-based and dedicated app) and CityMaps2Go.

3G (on i4S): use only if you're not getting any cellular service under GSM/CDMA, or you want faster data speeds. GPS navigation apps work without 3G as long as you're not running them in satellite view.

Bluetooth: use only if you regularly use a handsfree headset or other BT accessory.
    http://www.amazon.com/External-Batt...862279&sr=8-84&keywords=external+battery+pack

Exact same price as Mophie Powerstation Pro, nearly three times the capacity.
    This will be a surprise to you - a large majority of Li-ion and Li-poly batteries are made in China. Your Mophie battery sleeve and pack both have made-in-China lithium cells.

Lacking in ruggedness? Not a big deal, wrap the entire battery pack in a few layers of bubble wrap. I did just that for my WD portable 2TB USB3 HDD and the effect is practically the same as a retail $20 case.

Satechi makes a 10000mAh pack that has a real on/off button instead of the automatic shutoff commonly found on other, more conventional packs.
    6600mAh for $100 versus 18000mAh for $100. Personally, I think you're getting ripped off. The Satechi pack doesn't cost $100 for 10Ah, either.

By the way, that 18Ah pack I linked up there originally came out of Kickstarter.

7. User24, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

User24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Those look to be competent, large capacity charging systems. No doubt I'll have to look into getting one for my ipad, in order to reduce the heat and wear on its internals.

Lipo batteries are killed by cycling and aging. Cycle it once a day for 365 days, and it is worn far more than one that is not.

I had to stop using my previous phone due to batteries dying. Once it became last years model, all the batteries I would buy were made months/years ago with limited remaining life (lion tech). They would last a few months at best. Is a $10 iphone battery from a seller based in China, automatically a counterfeit? I wouldn't trust my phone or my safety on it, from the sounds of it. I take for granted that things electronic are made in China, but there is a world of difference between what I can buy at an established retail location, and the bargain types you see on online auctions or other websites. Do you know what I am talking about? Have you read the safety bulletins regarding certain Chinese batteries, making their way into the acquisition chain and destroying products?

I have been around the world a couple times. Counterfeit electronics is the way of life in many countries, it sounds strange but some big shopping malls have stores that only sell counterfeit products, all out in the open.

Have you noticed how much cooler an ipad or iphone runs, while it is on constant ac charge? Heat kills electronics. While consumer products may or may not overheat during the warranty period, lower temps overall is better for the long term. Everything fails, just a matter of when.

The last thing I need is to be on a long ride, with the phone giving me gps directions, and shuts down from an overheat state. It is already toasty, sitting inside a tail bag with dual high mount exhausts underneath. Don't need to make it worse than it is.

If you would use bubble wrap, I guess we just share different tastes.

8. jcpb macrumors 6502a

You're not understanding this correctly.

Both the iPhones and iPads are passively cooled, that is, the entire casing acts as a heatsink. It's perfectly normal for the casing to become warm during normal usage.

What is not normal is the thinking that you should use external power to run the device to prolong its life.
    How does that matter? You can do the same thing to car batteries, eneloop AA cells, dSLR batteries, etc. Keeping it fully charged at all times, as opposed to using it normally, kills batteries faster.
    Then you're not going to buy any electronics, never mind lots of household items and car parts, because a lot of them are manufactured in China. Not everything is counterfeit, but you must use your head. Good quality made-in-China products are indistinguishable from those made in USA and elsewhere.

Here's the deal. A replacement iPhone 4S battery costs less than $6 shipped.
    http://www.amazon.com/1430mAh-Li-io...sr=8-1&keywords=iphone+4s+replacement+battery

Go to an Apple store and they charge you at least $50, not just to replace the battery, but also to compensate for labor costs.

If you're really paranoid, you can buy more than one unit when you order.
    If you think made-in-China counterfeit electronics are dangerous, wait until you read the news about made-in-China counterfeit food e.g. eggs preserved with industrial-use copper sulphate because production time is shortened by half compared to those made with food-safe ingredients. Honestly, you should be more scared of your own government's misdeeds than the cr@p that comes out of Chinese factories.
    I don't need to leave my country to know local stores sell counterfeit alongside genuine - in fact, the nearest mall with that stuff is less than 10 miles away from my house.
    Nope. Those iPhones and iPads still run warm while being powered from external sources.
    When you're using your phone as a satnav on a ride, you're not putting it on a car/bike mount, but stashing it inside a bag? So not only is the phone running warm, but the heat cannot leave the bag, making it run hotter than it should. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you're killing your electronics.

Just use your phone/tablet normally, and look at the external power packs as a backup. It's like human aging. Why go to such great lengths to "protect" the internal batteries from aging? They're all going to die anyways.