Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
So I signed up for the updates on when it's coming out. I had one for my 3GS and it was awesome. I loved it. Plus, I got a promo code for 15% off after I signed up via email.

Anyone else had good experiences with these Mophie battery cases?

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
So I signed up for the updates on when it's coming out. I had one for my 3GS and it was awesome. I loved it. Plus, I got a promo code for 15% off after I signed up via email.

For the regular Juice Packs:
Yes, I used for the iPhone 4S and loved it, exceptional accessory for travel. Waiting for it to be released for the IP5.

I have not tried the external batteries, but I saw one at BB (the mini one) and it was quite heavy, not sure I want to pull the trigger on one of these yet, or get a battery (the 4000mah one)..

http://www.mophie.com/category-s/118.htm

Which one were you looking at?

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
For the regular Juice Packs:
Yes, I used for the iPhone 4S and loved it, exceptional accessory for travel. Waiting for it to be released for the IP5.

I have not tried the external batteries, but I saw one at BB (the mini one) and it was quite heavy, not sure I want to pull the trigger on one of these yet, or get a battery (the 4000mah one)..

http://www.mophie.com/category-s/118.htm

Which one were you looking at?

Well, I'm a poor broke man so whatever is the cheapest. :)

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Well, I'm a poor broke man so whatever is the cheapest. :)
I hope they can figure out how to produce a battery case that doesn't significantly add to the length of the phone. The added length wasn't that big a deal for the 4S, but the iPhone 5 is long enough already.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I hope they can figure out how to produce a battery case that doesn't significantly add to the length of the phone. The added length wasn't that big a deal for the 4S, but the iPhone 5 is long enough already.

Yeah, I can definitely tell the difference of it in my pocket. I have to turn the iPhone sideways kinda in order to sit comfortably, and I'm 6'2".

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!

LOVE EM! Both the Air and the heavier one are good, the heavier juice pack (between the PRO and the AIR) is fantastic, but the little lighter-sized emergency chargers are junk. I've seen a lot of people unhappy with them, not only do they not hold much of a charge in the first place, but the charge they do hold diminishes over the first weeks/months of it's use.

I use mine for a 4-7 hour stretch every day with the pedometer running (really drains the battery) and couldn't do without the better case/juicepack. Not only does it hold quite an extention on the phone life (makes it last 2.5 times as long total) but it's a pretty protective case, too. Highly recommend it.

In fact, I wont even consider an iPhone 5 until mophie comes out with the juicepack for it. (which I can't wait for, by the way...) :p

OH! BUT BUY THEM FROM APPLE, BEST BUY, OR SOMEWHERE SIMILAR AND IN PERSON! There are a LOT of fake MOphies out there, many are really good look alikes, (I got stung TWICE, once by an authorized reseller with fantastic feedback on Ebay) and nothing holds a charge like the original. I got my last one at the Apple store, and an extra $10-15 is nothing for that extra piece of mind.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Juice Pack Air

Had one for my Iphone 4 and it worked well, served as the case also. Mophie has some work to do because they have to figure out if the customer wants the charging port on the new case-to-be to be the same as the lightning connector. As you remember, the Juice Pack Air turned the 30 pin connector into a micro usb connection. Let's see what they come up with. I'm not throwing out my micro usb chargers yet.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california

exactly. I am hoping they can find a way to make it and not add too much bulk to the phone. I have been using mine for the 4 and I love it.

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Really nice and convenient. Good quality. Only downside is the bulk it adds. I've used it for the iPhone 4 and it was a noticeable difference. Since the 5 is taller, it'd prolly be even more noticeable.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
It would be awesome if they made the charging port the same as the iPhone 5. My feeling is that they will go with micro-usb as usual.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
Waiting patiently. Hopefully before the Christmas Holiday. We will see.

When the iPhone 5s (if it comes out next year) and it has a different form factor, then the case may not work etc, for now I think the batteries are the best bet, they are not as fun to have to hook up etc when they get low vs. just pressing a switch but I bought a Mophie Juice Pack Plus it was nice for awhile but when the iPhone 5 it was obviously no longer compatible.

With a battery pack (they are a pain vs. the case) but they will work with any USB device, more versatile, etc.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
That's the whole thing. I don't want to carry anything extra. Really a shame they can't give their customers any info. I am more convinced that they have no clue themselves.

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
It's not necessarily hard to make a case like this that works with lightning and such. The only thing holding them back is possibly trying to make it smaller and mass production.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
If your feeling bored check out Mophie on Facebook. So many posters are irate with them it is kind of funny to read. Glad there are other people putting pressure on them as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.