Mophie Launches $150 'Powerstation USB-C XXL' Aimed at New MacBooks

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mophie today announced the release of a new high capacity mobile battery called the Powerstation USB-C XXL, which is aimed at the latest MacBook and MacBook Pro models. The accessory includes a 19,500 mAh battery, which Mophie said will provide up to 14 hours of extra battery, or "more than one full charge" to a MacBook.

[​IMG]

The Powerstation USB-C XXL includes one USB-C port and one 5V/2.4A USB-A port, so users can simultaneously charge an iPhone or iPad as they charge their MacBook. The top of the accessory is wrapped in a soft-touch fabric, which Mophie said helps keep other devices in a bag safe from scratches when traveling.

Mophie's new accessory can charge a MacBook at full speed thanks to included USB power delivery technology in the USB-C port, which can charge a connected MacBook at rapid charging rates of up to 30 watts. While 30 watts isn't enough to keep up with a MacBook Pro under heavy load, the battery can still recharge a MacBook Pro in sleep mode or at least slow the battery drain while the computer is in use.

Like other Mophie products, the Powerstation USB-C XXL also includes priority charging, so when it's connected to a wall adapter the battery pack will send power to a connected device first, then recharge itself.

Mophie's PowerStation USB-C XXL is available to buy for $149.95 on Mophie.com, Apple.com, and in Apple retail stores beginning today, although it hasn't yet appeared on Apple's website at the time of writing.

It's worth noting that there are other options on the market if you're looking for USB-C battery packs with power delivery specifications, all of which offer higher capacities at prices lower than Mophie's accessory, although Mophie's design standards and favored relationship with Apple contribute toward its products' popularity with consumers.

Article Link: Mophie Launches $150 'Powerstation USB-C XXL' Aimed at New MacBooks

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

so these do not work with older macbook 12"s?

3. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Pretty sure the writer means the current design of Apple's USB-C based portables compatible with the USB-PD specification. People have been using these USB-C battery packs with 12" MacBooks since their introduction.

4. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

It'll work with all MacBook's including all USB-C MacBook Pro's - it'll just charge them slow.

RavPower has a better battery pack out at 26,000mah and can adapt to various charging speeds. It's fast enough to keep charging a 15" MacBook Pro with use so long as you're not maxing the CPU out.

5. jb510 macrumors regular

jb510

FWIW, I've been using this RAVPower 26000 PD which is half the price (http://amzn.to/2uS9iVx) for that last month with my 2016 15" MBP and freaking love it.

More options is better, but not sure why anyone would go with the Mophie over the RAVPower...

6. rybitron macrumors newbie

Is the USB port on the battery power only or data throughput as well?

7. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

That's a lot of money for what appears to be 6 x 18650 batteries, a circuit, and a case.

8. AzzUrr1 macrumors member

AzzUrr1

How long can it charge the MBP while using?

9. Neepman macrumors 6502

No more overpriced than the MBP.

10. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

It should work with the original MacBooks that included USB-C. Mophie is pretty unclear on its site, but the online manual says this: "The mophie powerstation USB-C XXL battery has been designed to work with USB-C equipped laptops as well as most popular tablets, smartphones and other USB devices."

11. shifty27 macrumors newbie

shifty27

My thoughts exactly. That's the Mophie premium though who sell mainly through apple's online and brick and mortar stores.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

But it's not a MBP. Or Apple. It's a battery.

13. jettredmont macrumors 68030

I have never had a bad product from Anker. I would go (and have gone) with the cheaper Anker pack rather than the Mophie, every time.

14. nfortna macrumors member

nfortna

it's so hard to justify buying this overpriced crap nowadays when the market is so flooded with other options. It's one sexy battery though

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It appears to be 6 X 3250 18650 cells, but then it's at 3.7 volts.
    It's thick...check
    It's wide...check
    It's long...check
    It's 19500/6=3250mAh standard lithium size...check
    It's 5 Volts and 19500mAh..Erm, no.
    Yes, I know you can covert from 3.7 to 5 volts, but then it's less than 19500mAh

Can't find the dimensions on Mohpie's website...WTF.

16. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Weird. I hadn't checked but was guessing they had a series/parallel arrangement at 7.4 volts.

17. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

That's why I checked the dimensions, if I have them and I can divide those by the dimensions for 18650 cells I know more.
    There need to be 12 of them to be 7.4 volt AND 19.500mAh.
    I am sure there are no 12 cells inside, too small to fit them.

It could still be Lithium polymer, that could the reason it's so expensive, but it's fairly thick!

It just doesn't add up.

18. jaybroni macrumors newbie

jaybroni

I agree with getting a RAVPower but if you have a 2016 15" MPB get the 27000 mAh with built in 110v AC outlet (http://amzn.to/2hlPkOj)

19. metanoia macrumors member

Is this thing even legal to bring on board an airplane with the 100Whr limit?

20. jaybroni macrumors newbie

jaybroni

According to some of the reviewers they were able to get it through every time. I'm sure there will be a handful of the TSA who will ask about it but they'll probably wave you through.

21. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

You pay $5 for that, the rest is for it won't explode or damage your $3000 computer

22. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

That's the control circuit. It's not a lot of money, even if some development is require.

23. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

I have a Belkin usb-c car adapter (12V) that powers my Macbook from the car. It also works with a portable 12v battery pack that gives days of power, if needed.
    The adapter will also charge an iPhone or iPad.
    Low-tech but it works well.

24. pratikindia macrumors 6502

pratikindia

25. mpainesyd, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

~$25 for Belkin adapter, ~$30 for gel battery and components from Jaycar (I use the homemade power pack for a telescope). Too big for a back-pack but great for travelling (by car) around Australia.
    IMG_1232.JPG