Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Apple should abandon the quest for thin and double battery size. Think of the selling point! 2+ day battery. My battery must be charged throughout the day or it is in the red by 5 pm.
It wouldn't even have to get that much thicker. Even a hardly noticeable 1mm increase could do wonders for battery life, at the very least ensuring every user gets a full day out of a charge.

Reactions: cameronjpu

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Whatever team at Mophie has been working months on this product will soon be looking for work.

Lamest. Idea. Ever.
[doublepost=1475541856][/doublepost]
I will go to best buy to check it out. I need a external battery for my vacation next month anyway, so I might try this out. I really like modular systems like this.
You can get great battery packs for $20-$30 on Amazon. Who wants that battery pack attached to your iPhone? What a kludge.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Makes the Apple Battery Case look like Marilyn Monroe.
[doublepost=1475513783][/doublepost]

I think perhaps give it a rest already. They didn't make 7 any thinner (that's three years at same thickness) and added on 2+ hours of battery life, depending on use. They even made Watch thicker—they hear the feedback. I personally didn't like the 6 because I found it too big and too heavy. Design is about trade-offs. If you want a big fat iPhone for the battery life gain many battery cases exist. As for me and the many like me, I was forced to move from the 6 to the SE as at its current size is too big and heavy. If you want great battery life get a plus or a battery case or bring a power pack: several options.

Just because they haven't listened yet doesn't mean they won't, so don't expect me or the rest of us to give it up. Look around at that subway car or bus you're on - bet you see half of everyone under the age holding their phone with a cable connected to a battery pack. This is not how it's supposed to be! This is not the "wireless future" we were promised. All day every day, we're all thinking about how to keep our phone from running out of juice. When it'd be so easy to fix with like, 2mm of thickness! Adding a battery case doubles the phone size, but adding it internally would make the 7 no thicker than the SE.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
Oh, come on guys, I thought it was pretty cool concept. However, I wonder if having a magnet near the iPhone processor, internal memory, or wireless communication chips (wifi, bluetooth & NFC) can cause issues.

I've been using a magnetic dash mount for my phones for about 4 years now with no adverse affects. Internal memory isn't magnetically written on phones (and weaker magnets have never actually had much of an impact on magnetic hard drives, which themselves contain rare earth magnets). Apple uses magnets in the iPad for the smart covers and cases. They activate the mechanism for sleep/wake using cases. They've also included magnets in the iMac (for attaching the remote they used to ship with), the MacBook (for sleep/wake detection), and the Apple Watch charger attaches magnetically. Magnets are just fine for electronic devices today.

Reactions: Saipher

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
The concept of this definitely intrigues me. I hate carrying a wallet because it takes up a whole pocket, yet all it does is hold cards I never use, and I hate wallet cases purely because they get in the way when you're using the phone.

Ill be the guinea pig for this little experiment; ordered the hold force for my 7 plus, will report back with my findings when it arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.