Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
This is about as large as you're going to find right now. Honestly, if you need that much additional use time, I'd just grab a MacBook Air in addition to your Pro. Most of the work the vast majority do on the road doesn't take the processing power of a Pro. If you really need it, I'd think about optimizing your workflow and settings within the machine itself.

This is because of Airport laws in the US that limit batteries to around 26mAh - and most people need an external battery the most when traveling. :) . (Not to mention that a larger battery would probably weigh more than your laptop.)
[doublepost=1539875671][/doublepost]
You should look at the Ravpower RP-PB058-2 for $79.99 on Amazon. My org has used 3 of these with 2016 & 2018 MBP 15" as well as MBair 2017. It works well with these, plus iPhones or Android phones. It can be Quickcharged also. The Ravpower has more ports than the Morphie.

Hi bilgrates3 - I was wondering how well the Ravpower worked for you on 15" MBPs? At 30 watts max, can they be used once the battery drains?

billgrates3

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
This is because of Airport laws in the US that limit batteries to around 26mAh - and most people need an external battery the most when traveling. :) . (Not to mention that a larger battery would probably weigh more than your laptop.)
[doublepost=1539875671][/doublepost]

Hi bilgrates3 - I was wondering how well the Ravpower worked for you on 15" MBPs? At 30 watts max, can they be used once the battery drains?

Basically I use the Ravpower to keep the battery from discharging while working on docs or watching a movie. It really won't charge the 15" MBP much unless the MBP is sleeping. I've found that my 2018 2.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD MBP15 is quite efficient on battery, discharging at only 10W to 20W rate (based on coconut battery app values). So with the extra 100Whr capacity of the RavPower, I can get quite a few hours operation.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Basically I use the Ravpower to keep the battery from discharging while working on docs or watching a movie. It really won't charge the 15" MBP much unless the MBP is sleeping. I've found that my 2018 2.2GHz i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD MBP15 is quite efficient on battery, discharging at only 10W to 20W rate (based on coconut battery app values). So with the extra 100Whr capacity of the RavPower, I can get quite a few hours operation.

I picked one up on sale for $50, and it does charge slowly....and it's a decent, compact battery for me. (As always, YMMV).

billgrates3

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
Incidentally...
I recently got an Apple 61W power adapter (the one that the 13" MBP uses) and it has been working just fine with my 15" MBP for a week. I will be using it primarily on trips, as the 87W adapter will usually not work well with aircraft AC outlets. As I understand it, many aircraft AC outlets are limited to 75W max output.
I used to use the Ravpower in that situation, or on aircraft with no AC at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.