Mophie Launches New Wireless Charging Kit Designed for Travel

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mophie today announced the launch of the Charge Stream Travel Kit, which is a wireless charging kit that's designed for use while traveling, as the name suggests.

Designed for the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus, as well as other Qi-enabled devices, the Charge Stream Travel Kit includes a 5W Charge Stream Pad Mini, which is a wireless charger that can also be purchased separately, paired with a 2.4A wall adapter, a 2.4A car adapter, and a 1.5-foot USB-A to micro-USB cable.

[​IMG]

All of the components for the travel kit come in a handy case that keeps them all together and that can be easily stowed in a backpack or a car.

The Charge Stream Pad Mini is a 5W charger, which means it's not going to charge the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus at the faster 7.5W charging speed. Design wise, the Charge Stream Pad Mini is compact and slightly elevated with a low profile design that works anywhere. It includes a non-slip rubber grip to keep your iPhone in place.

[​IMG]

Mophie is charging $49.95 for the Charge Stream Travel Kit on its website and the Charge Stream Mini Pad can also be purchased separately for $24.95.

Article Link: Mophie Launches New Wireless Charging Kit Designed for Travel

2. syntax macrumors regular

And still no battery case for the iPhone X. I find it mystifying that no reputable Apple accessory manufacturer has released one yet. The only ones available are from fly-by-night companies on Amazon. It can’t simply be the Qi wireless charging functionality. Plenty of manufacturers already support that.

3. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I like the idea of making travel charging easier but I think they've totally missed the boat but only charging one device. People travel with phones and tablets and watches and headphones and if they're traveling for pleasure probably have another person or people along. The adapter should have been much higher wattage with more ports.

4. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

Or just pack a lightening cable?

I honestly feel wireless/proximity/pad charging introduces way more problems than it solves. This is the perfect example. A single lightening cable is relatively cheap (and included with the phone), fits in your pocket, and can be plugged into any powered USB port, anywhere.

"Wireless" charging requires you have a bulky kit with multiple components you have to set up so that you can "conveniently" lay your phone down to charge in that one location.

Is there something I'm missing. What's the appeal?

5. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

yes, and this too. Those fly-by-night operations also don't pass through lightning, I'm sure due to licensing.

6. sven3 macrumors newbie

sven3

Yeah, let me take a giant portfolio of charge adapters with me for travel, for a 5W Qi pad that will charge iPhone at 1/3 the speed of lightning, that would take up a fraction the space...

Bizarre product.

7. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I expect most better hotel chains will start rolling Qi charging into all their desks and nightstands over the next year or two. That part of wireless charging I do like. Not having to plug something in but just drop on locations in which wireless is already positioned.

8. Braderunner macrumors 6502

Twenty-five dollars for a 5w charger that doesn't come with a power adapter? o_O :eek: :confused:

9. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

10. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

It's funny how people attack Mophie for charging a premium for their build\quality, yet don't seem to hold the same animosity toward Apple for doing the EXACT same thing.

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I partly agree with you. I have a wireless charging pad on the bedside table and use it to charge the phone overnight. Any other charging including travel makes use of the lightning cable.

12. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

For traveling I loooooove a multi usb power plug- I always bring one that hs 5 usb outputs, for iPhone, iPad, watch, camera battery and headphones. It’s the perfect solution. The only sad thing is that this is all traditional usb a and if I should bring the MacBook along as well, I need usb c as well. Would be sooo nice if by now all devices would have it, like bose headphones or camera chargers..

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'd really rather have just a cable & plug for travelling. I prefer as small, light, and simple as possible for that application.

14. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

For $50, I can get the iPad charger WITH a 3m lightning cable by Anker, long enough to skip it with plus change to spare.

Which genius came up with this product?

15. Neepman macrumors 6502

Just made me realize its been at least a week since I have been able to rant how pointless wireless charging is. Not to mention a huge waste of energy occurs because of its massive inefficiency.

16. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

Mophie will make a proper battery case for the X when it is 2 years past its prime.

17. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

The appeal? Just dropping the iPhone onto the puck, and it's charging. Usually... And being in a strange environment, you just have to pick up the phone to head to the door if there is an emergency. I say 'usually' because I have had the iPhone not charge on the puck, even though the light is on, although that's only happened twice, so far.
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2018 ---
    It is interesting that they don't show the 'pack' on their website. It reminds me of one that I bought for the iPod Color, which had the cutouts for the four buttons, but the worst thing was that it was HUGE! It had a charger, car charger, cables, and a spot for the iPod, and was ridiculous. I was traveling quite a bit, and rationalized that the 'pack' would keep things 'organized'. Too organized. I found that a Ziploc bag worked actually better (seriously). And when on planes, I always had the iPod out, so putting it in the 'pack' was cumbersome. *shrug* I had the best intentions...

18. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

19. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Apple hasn't released that adapter, or the new case for the Air Pods. 'Coming soon'. YAWN... I wonder if their charger pad will ever ship. As for the Air Pods, we will all likely have to buy a new pair to get the Qi charging capability. And they announced a case alone to wirelessly charge too. *shrug* Another 'upgrade' not shipping.

20. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

You are right, wireless charging is not very green.

21. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

Yeah where is AirPower TM???

22. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

You should research what happens to unused electricity that’s generated.

Spoiler Alert: it can’t be stored and is never able to be used. Sorry to ruin your Sunday.

23. davidmartindale macrumors regular

davidmartindale

What? You mean power plants don't have massive batteries storing all that generated power? /s

24. Neepman macrumors 6502

So I should keep my 200 watt porch light on 24/7 just to use all that unused energy? Thanks for the tip!