Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mophie today announced the launch of the Charge Stream Travel Kit, which is a wireless charging kit that's designed for use while traveling, as the name suggests.

Designed for the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus, as well as other Qi-enabled devices, the Charge Stream Travel Kit includes a 5W Charge Stream Pad Mini, which is a wireless charger that can also be purchased separately, paired with a 2.4A wall adapter, a 2.4A car adapter, and a 1.5-foot USB-A to micro-USB cable.

mophietravelkit-800x630.jpg

All of the components for the travel kit come in a handy case that keeps them all together and that can be easily stowed in a backpack or a car.

The Charge Stream Pad Mini is a 5W charger, which means it's not going to charge the iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus at the faster 7.5W charging speed. Design wise, the Charge Stream Pad Mini is compact and slightly elevated with a low profile design that works anywhere. It includes a non-slip rubber grip to keep your iPhone in place.

mophiecharger2-800x426.jpg

Mophie is charging $49.95 for the Charge Stream Travel Kit on its website and the Charge Stream Mini Pad can also be purchased separately for $24.95.

Article Link: Mophie Launches New Wireless Charging Kit Designed for Travel

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
And still no battery case for the iPhone X. I find it mystifying that no reputable Apple accessory manufacturer has released one yet. The only ones available are from fly-by-night companies on Amazon. It can’t simply be the Qi wireless charging functionality. Plenty of manufacturers already support that.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I like the idea of making travel charging easier but I think they've totally missed the boat but only charging one device. People travel with phones and tablets and watches and headphones and if they're traveling for pleasure probably have another person or people along. The adapter should have been much higher wattage with more ports.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
Or just pack a lightening cable?

I honestly feel wireless/proximity/pad charging introduces way more problems than it solves. This is the perfect example. A single lightening cable is relatively cheap (and included with the phone), fits in your pocket, and can be plugged into any powered USB port, anywhere.

"Wireless" charging requires you have a bulky kit with multiple components you have to set up so that you can "conveniently" lay your phone down to charge in that one location.

Is there something I'm missing. What's the appeal?

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
And still no battery case for the iPhone X. I find it mystifying that no reputable Apple accessory manufacturer has released one yet. The only ones available are from fly-by-night companies on Amazon. It can’t simply be the Qi wireless charging functionality. Plenty of manufacturers already support that.

yes, and this too. Those fly-by-night operations also don't pass through lightning, I'm sure due to licensing.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014

I honestly feel wireless/proximity/pad charging introduces way more problems than it solves. This is the perfect example. A single lightening cable is relatively cheap (and included with the phone), fits in your pocket, and can be plugged into any powered USB port, anywhere.

"Wireless" charging requires you have a bulky kit with multiple components you have to set up so that you can "conveniently" lay your phone down to charge in that one location.

Is there something I'm missing. What's the appeal? Seriously?

I expect most better hotel chains will start rolling Qi charging into all their desks and nightstands over the next year or two. That part of wireless charging I do like. Not having to plug something in but just drop on locations in which wireless is already positioned.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

I partly agree with you. I have a wireless charging pad on the bedside table and use it to charge the phone overnight. Any other charging including travel makes use of the lightning cable.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
For traveling I loooooove a multi usb power plug- I always bring one that hs 5 usb outputs, for iPhone, iPad, watch, camera battery and headphones. It’s the perfect solution. The only sad thing is that this is all traditional usb a and if I should bring the MacBook along as well, I need usb c as well. Would be sooo nice if by now all devices would have it, like bose headphones or camera chargers..

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I'd really rather have just a cable & plug for travelling. I prefer as small, light, and simple as possible for that application.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Just made me realize its been at least a week since I have been able to rant how pointless wireless charging is. Not to mention a huge waste of energy occurs because of its massive inefficiency.

Reactions: haruhiko

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

The appeal? Just dropping the iPhone onto the puck, and it's charging. Usually... And being in a strange environment, you just have to pick up the phone to head to the door if there is an emergency. I say 'usually' because I have had the iPhone not charge on the puck, even though the light is on, although that's only happened twice, so far.
[doublepost=1527254214][/doublepost]
Yeah, let me take a giant portfolio of charge adapters with me for travel, for a 5W Qi pad that will charge iPhone at 1/3 the speed of lightning, that would take up a fraction the space...

Bizarre product.

It is interesting that they don't show the 'pack' on their website. It reminds me of one that I bought for the iPod Color, which had the cutouts for the four buttons, but the worst thing was that it was HUGE! It had a charger, car charger, cables, and a spot for the iPod, and was ridiculous. I was traveling quite a bit, and rationalized that the 'pack' would keep things 'organized'. Too organized. I found that a Ziploc bag worked actually better (seriously). And when on planes, I always had the iPod out, so putting it in the 'pack' was cumbersome. *shrug* I had the best intentions...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Doesn't even charge the Apple Watch...

Apple hasn't released that adapter, or the new case for the Air Pods. 'Coming soon'. YAWN... I wonder if their charger pad will ever ship. As for the Air Pods, we will all likely have to buy a new pair to get the Qi charging capability. And they announced a case alone to wirelessly charge too. *shrug* Another 'upgrade' not shipping.

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
Apple hasn't released that adapter, or the new case for the Air Pods. 'Coming soon'. YAWN... I wonder if their charger pad will ever ship. As for the Air Pods, we will all likely have to buy a new pair to get the Qi charging capability. And they announced a case alone to wirelessly charge too. *shrug* Another 'upgrade' not shipping.

Yeah where is AirPower TM???

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Just made me realize its been at least a week since I have been able to rant how pointless wireless charging is. Not to mention a huge waste of energy occurs because of its massive inefficiency.

You should research what happens to unused electricity that’s generated.

Spoiler Alert: it can’t be stored and is never able to be used. Sorry to ruin your Sunday.

Reactions: davidmartindale

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
You should research what happens to unused electricity that’s generated.

Spoiler Alert: it can’t be stored and is never able to be used. Sorry to ruin your Sunday.
So I should keep my 200 watt porch light on 24/7 just to use all that unused energy? Thanks for the tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.