Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular accessory brand Mophie today announced the launch of new iPhone charging products that use the new Qi2 wireless charging standard. Qi2 is similar to MagSafe in that it is able to charge compatible iPhone models at up to 15W rather than being limited to 7.5W.

Mophie-Qi2-accessories.jpg

The $70 Snap+ Wireless Charging Vent Mount is designed for use in the car. It is able to attach to a vehicle's vents, and it comes with a 30W USB-C car adapter and USB-C cable. A MagSafe-compatible iPhone is able to attach to the charger magnetically, and it will charge at 15W.

Mophie's Snap+ Wireless Charging Vent Mount is available today, and two other products are coming in April. The $130 Snap+ 3-in-1 Wireless Charge Stand has an upright 15W Qi2 charging pad that works in landscape or portrait mode, plus it can be tilted to an ideal viewing angle.

There's also an Apple Watch charging puck that can fast charge compatible Apple Watch models at 7.5W, and a 5W charging platform at the bottom that is designed to work with AirPods. All three devices can charge at one time.

Mophie's $70 Snap+ Powerstation Mini with Stand is a charging stand that comes with a 5,000mAh internal battery for charging the iPhone while on the go. Like Mophie's other Qi2 products, it is able to charge an iPhone at up to 15W. The Powerstation Mini and 3-in-1 Charge Stand will launch on April 30.

Qi2 products from Mophie and other manufacturers are compatible with the iPhone 13 models, iPhone 14 models, and iPhone 15 models. Older iPhones do not support Qi2 charging speeds.

Article Link: Mophie Launches Qi2 Wireless Charger Lineup

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I went through a few vent mounts before I found one that worked well for me -- and I generally found those that stick out too far (even well made ones) tend to bounce around too much, just due to leverage. You can't put a heavy iPhone at the end of a long mount and not expect it to move. The one I ended up liking the most hugs close to the vent and stays much steadier because of that.

The downsides to having the phone that close to the vent are that 1) it blocks the vent and therefore 2) you don't want to channel heat through that vent in the winter because it will overheat the phone. (In the summer, your AC keeps the phone nice and frosty, however.)

Last edited:

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Are there any (MagSafe or qi2) that mount to the window or can stick to the dash, or even a weighted one? I’m interested in a new one but don’t want a vent attached model

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I thought these products were only so expensive before because manufacturers had to buy official Apple charging pucks and stands. Weren’t they supposed to be cheaper once it became an open standard?

Who thinks the DOJ lawsuit is going to lower prices for consumers?

Reactions: jimthing

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I've used chargers from many different brands. Here's my overall impression of each.
  • Anker: Mixed. About a third of the chargers failed within 3 year period. Those under warranty were replaced, but getting them replaced required taking video demonstrating the failure. Their batteries are very reliable though.
  • Apple: All in excellent working orders. It's too bad MagSafe Duo isn't getting the revision, as even at the ridiculous price, I would buy them again in a heartbeat.
  • Belkin: The chargers are as good as Apple's. The charging cable is a mixed bag, however.
  • iOttie: Garbage. I had 2 and both failed within 3 years.
  • Mophie: So so. For a high-end product, I expected more. But I find the build quality to be average at best and one of them failed within a year.
  • Otterbox: Good design and build quality, but so so reliability.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I thought these products were only so expensive before because manufacturers had to buy official Apple charging pucks and stands. Weren’t they supposed to be cheaper once it became an open standard?

Who thinks the DOJ lawsuit is going to lower prices for consumers?
I don't know anyone besides the regulators and those suing Apple that make that claim. I suspect that prices will remain the same and the money will just go to different entities.

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
I like that the charging vent mount they have actually hooks to the inside of the vent, but they should've had the bottom magnet too, so the phone won't move around so much with just the circular magnet.

Belkin's accessories are better designed though. These are kind of ugly.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Why would anyone pay these prices now that it’s an open standard and not magsafe? That was the only way they whacked ya before while regular qi devices were like $10-$30
Exactly what I came here to say! Silly prices.

Reactions: jimthing

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Not many Qi2 stands out there AFAI have seen.
Prices are still ridiculous too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.