Mophie Unveils Next-Generation Powerstation External Battery Lineup

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 11, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mophie today announced the debut of a new lineup of Powerstation external batteries, which can be used to charge a range of different electronic devices, including Apple's iPhone and iPad. The new Powerstation battery packs are Mophie's thinnest and lightest yet, with an aluminum finish designed to mesh well with iOS devices and 15W fast charging capabilities.

Mophie's new Powerstation products follow in the footsteps of its previous Powerstation line, with Mophie offering several different battery capacities at varying prices and sizes. Available sizes include 1X (2,000 mAh), 2X (4,000 mAh), 3X (6,000 mAh), 5X (10,000 mAh), and 8X, with the 8X size offering a capacity of 15,000 mAh, which Mophie says is equivalent to an additional 54 hours of talk time, 59 hours of web browsing, 59 hours of video playback, and 272 hours of audio time.

[​IMG]

The smallest Powerstation, the 1X, measures in at 6.9mm thick and 95.5mm (3.76 inches) long, while the largest 8X Powerstation is 12.1mm thick and 183.9mm (7.24 inches) long, with other sizes fitting in between the two extremes.

The higher-end 5X and 8X models include support for a Mophie Power app that lets users see the remaining battery life in the Powerstation and how long it will take to charge a device to full. The app is also able to send custom notifications when batteries are low or fully charged.

[​IMG]

All models except for the 1X version also support pass-through charging, which will charge an iOS device before charging the Powerstation. On the 3X, 5X, and 8X models, there are also two ports for charging multiple devices at one time.

Mophie's new Powerstation lineup is available for purchase from the Mophie website, Apple.com, and Apple retail stores. Pricing starts at $39.95 for the Powerstation 1X and goes up to $149.95 for the Powerstation 8X.

Article Link: Mophie Unveils Next-Generation Powerstation External Battery Lineup

2. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

Very nice. I love the design. I have the Anker E4 from Amazon and it works well. External batteries are very nice to have. :cool:

3. Petey-Pete macrumors newbie

Petey-Pete

4. 2457282 Suspended

I have a small external battery that was given to me as a gift. I have never had use for it, but I carry it in my bag. Maybe I don't use my phone that much. But I also seem to be by an outlet or computer all day so charging is achieved other ways for me. Based on how many of these there are out there, I guess a lot of folks are not near outlets or computers very often and require these external batteries, so for them this looks very nice.

5. TSquared26 macrumors newbie

TSquared26

6. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Agreed. They're taking a page out of Apple's playbook and charging $40 for a 2,000 mAh battery but oooh...it's so thin and light! That's almost as criminal as Apple charging $1,100 for an iMac and including a 5400 RPM spindle drive. By comparison, Anker offers a 20,000 mAh battery for $40 on Amazon.

7. rickdollar macrumors 6502

Nice form factor but it's tough to beat the Anker batteries on price/performance in my experience.

8. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Only 272 hours of audio time?

Great. There goes my trip to Mars.

9. flychild macrumors newbie

still the best battery life and design on the market.

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

They're gorgeous, but damn, they're expensive. I guess the good news is that they haven't gone up on the price, since the last generation was similarly priced.

11. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

This. Always this.

12. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I don't care how "pretty" my external battery is. I want it to be relatively compact and have as much juice as possible. Anker beats Mophie hands down, in my book. I'm sure there are some people in the market for a "pretty" external battery -- I'm just not one of them.

When there's an extended power outage (days), the folks with the "pretty" Mophie batteries will be looking for the people with the Anker batteries because their "pretty" batteries will have run out of juice. "But look -- the Mophie is so pretty -- completely dead, but pretty!"

13. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

There is a 15000 mah with the size of x1 and only 15 USD
    eloop I think

14. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Sorry, but for each Mophie I could get 5 Xiaomi batteries of the same capacity. They even look like official Apple products.

15. bushido Suspended

bushido

i am currently on a west coast trip and i bless my battery packs every single day lol i never realized how much the iPhone battery actually sucks when it comes to taking pictures and videos. you cam watch the percentage drop like by the minute

16. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Expensive. The cheapest one is as expensive as the 15,000 mah Anker

17. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

Anker FTW. I'm surprised this company is still in business with their prices

18. nutmac macrumors 68040

Right. At the end of the day, these are just batteries. Anker batteries ($40, 20,000 mAh, see below) look nice enough to me. While app integration can be nice, I frankly don't want to install yet another app to monitor a battery that I will use only few times a year.

[​IMG]

19. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

We have been very happy with the Anker external batteries. Very good battery life, good shelf life, the adaptive IQ charging "just works" and the designs aren't unnecessarily thin which -- if the Mophie is any indication -- only serves to drive up pricing.

As always, YMMV.

20. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

My 15,000 mAh Anker died in 3 months. Could never get a device to 100 per cent. If left plugged in , would be nearly dead when needed. You get what you pay for.

21. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Needs to charge via lightning or type C.

I will not have micro USB in my life ever again.

22. fredfnord macrumors regular

Huh. Is the iPhone 'unnecessarily thin' too? Just asking.

Personally, my ideal charger would be is a good, reliable one that fits into my wallet, because I don't always carry around a backpack and I never carry around a purse. So 'unnecessarily thin' for me is more or less nonexistent. It's a city thing, those of you who live in the 'burbs and take your cars everywhere you go wouldn't understand.

Alas, so far I've gotten three 'unnecessarily thin' chargers, two of which died after less than a month and one of which comes with a USB connector only (Amazon Basics, because of course Amazon doesn't want to make something with a lightning connector) which means carrying around a USB->lightning adaptor which I've lost two of now. I've also gone through four larger batteries for my backpack, though one lasted almost two years. Haven't tried an Anker battery but my Anker charger gets hot enough that I stopped using it after a week or two, and would have returned it if I hadn't gotten it for free anyway.

I don't know about Mophie either, though. Got one of their 'Helium' battery cases once, dropped it (and no, not out a window), and it cracked so badly that there were exposed electronics.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes these are nicely designed and made, but I think I'll keep using my $40 15,000mAh Power Castle http://amzn.to/1PDxTAR

[​IMG]

24. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

Their arithmetic is off quite a bit...
    Must have been fun at the marketing sessions, so 1x is 2000 and 2x is 4000, ok got it and 8x is 16000, no you don't got it.

25. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

whining. always whining.