More 6870 surprises ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bhang, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Bhang macrumors member

OK guys ! I really really need some help here ! PLEASE !! I'm reaching the end of my rope here. I am trying everything in my power to find a fix for my display issues and things just got worse. I know I'm not supposed to get a boot screen. No big deal. BUT ( and its a huge butt :) is this also supposed to mean no screen while installing OS X ? This is not possible to do ... is it? ! I can't see a thing. I figured if I installed a fresh version of OS X that I could rule out things I did myself since installing the card. However, no screen, no install :-(

- I want my mac back

2. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

3. Bhang thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, forgot to mention I'm on a MP 1.1 . No 64bit efi support so from what Cindori says I would need to wait for Apple to release a 32bit EFI for the 6870. I'm a newb at this so I trust what he says. I could give it a try. Probably should. As long as I b-up my rom I should be ok.
    It would still be nice to know what other people are doing in this situation. I don't know how you could get around this.
    :confused:

I haven't felt this mentally exhausted since I switched from Windows.

4. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I would trust Cin on this: if he says that the Zeus tool wouldn't work for you, don't do it.

I understand your exhaustion, but you're trying to live with a card that's 5 years younger than your computer, and that is not even officially supported by Apple! You're bound to have some issues.

Loa

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

6. Bhang thread starter macrumors member

i know. ... and I did have a 5870, but it didn't work right either. OS X broke support for the one I had and I sold it right afterwards. I guess it is probably works again when using Zeus. At any rate, I really don't need a whole lot. This all stems from my display issue that I can not for the life of me get ironed out. Windows see's my display fine, but osx see's it maybe 10% of the time. Very frustrating. Especially when a lot of people are using the same setup and having no problems. :-(

oh well .... We'll see how this turns out.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

What I would do at this point

Bhang, you probably don't want to hear this, but this is what I would do at this point.

1) Barefeats tested the official Apple 5770 and 5870 for performance on the MP 1,1 and found there was no appreciable difference. Essentially, the MP 1,1 couldn't take advantage of the extra power of the 5870. The recommendation is to get a 5770 if you have a MP 1,1.

2) The 6870 is slightly slower than the 5870, but still relatively comparable, meaning that you are probably won't benefit from the extra speed of the 6870. And that's if it worked, which it apparently isn't.

3) The official Apple 5770 is about the same price, maybe ever so slightly higher, than the 6870.

So if they will perform basically the same, and cost basically the same, but the Apple 5770 will work 100% with the MP, it seems like you should return the 6870 and buy an official Apple 5770. If you are outside the return period, you should sell it used and buy an Apple 5770 used.

You will have essentially the same performance out of the 5770 since your MP 1,1 is a bottleneck anyway. You will have 100% compatibility without any tricks and no worries about future updates breaking the hack.

At this point, that's my recommendation to you. People are largely unable to help you because for whatever reason the 6870 just works for everyone else.

Alternatively, I would try more monitors if you can borrow any from your friends or family. If it turns out everybody's monitor works except for your Acer, I'd replace the Acer.

8. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

if you have access to another Mac you can install fresh on the hard drive with that Mac (if it's an macbook, use HDD->USB adapter).

I don't know the exact magic behind the 6870 non-flash-but-automagically-working-in-Lion, perhaps you can boot the Lion (im assuming u are installing Lion?) install DVD, perhaps you can't. to rule out card issues, it's always a good idea to install windows and run some games or something.

9. Bhang, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Bhang thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ActionableMango ,
    That's actually the most solid advice I have gotten. I'm in Germany so prices are quite different here as far as 5770's go. However, the idea that its my monitor stuck. I grabbed another monitor ( smaller but different) and have 2 monitors that work 100% of the time using a passive MD-DVI and the bottom DVI. They are quite small though. I think I have some sort of freak dislike between my 6870 & Acer monitor. So I went out today at the last minute and bought me a syncmaster 21" LED 1920x1080 display. Was thinking oh boy I bet this thing will work fine .....
    And as my luck would have it ... I don't have any HDMI cables and this thing only has HDMI inputs :-( ha ha ha .... Asked for a monitor where I wouldn't need DL cables and I get one w/o DVI :eek: .
    So ... I mean to grab an HDMI cable tomorrow
    Thanks again and I'll let you know if that works.