More AEBS and External HD Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JimmyDThing, Oct 3, 2007.

1. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Ok... so I've got my MyBook 500GB external drive connected to my AEBS. It's formatted with HFS+ and I'm using MacDrive 7 to interact from PC. All is good EXCEPT...

There's no reason to leave my MyBook on when I won't need it for extended periods of time. It throws quite a bit of heat and it just doesn't need to be on. But every time I turn it off, I have to restart the AEBS and my Macs in order to be able to interact with it. Sometimes I get a cannot connect type error and sometimes I get a user error. All computers have static IP's, though I don't know if that matters...

Any ideas?

2. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

Bump. And additional info.

I've noticed when I open my terminal and navigate to Volumes. I end up with a list containing my mac hard drive, the MyBook that is connected (and for some reason the permissions are always set back to read only)... it is listed usually as "My Book 1" or something like that.

But then a long list of "Mac Book-#".. .where # can be anything from 1 to 6 shows up and they're all empty... anyone know why? I always eject the MyBook when necessary, so I don't know why those all show up.

3. defsquad macrumors regular

Jimmy,

From what I can tell stepping back down to the 7.1.1 firmware if you own the non gigabit model AEBS will fix the automounting issues. In my case, I just bought a gigabit model AEBS and it had 7.2 installed by default, which works fine thus far, however 7.2.1 is the bad firmware version in this case, so I'm avoiding upgrading to that firmware like the plague.

Good Luck.

4. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

Nope.... I'm pretty sure i have 7.2.1 :( I have the gigabit model. This is probably my problem. Thanks for your help.

5. defsquad macrumors regular

Jimmy,

Did yours come stock with the 7.2.1 firmware update? Mine came with 7.2 (bought mine from Best Buy), but continually asks me to update to 7.2.1 (which i won't do). Basically you should be able to roll back to 7.2 (not sure how though, just heard it being done).

Hopefully that helps.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I agree that this is a 7.2.1 issue. I found that 7.2.1 fixed the issue with losing USB printers connected to the AEBS when they were turned off, but now causes me to lose my AEBS connected hard drive when the computers go to sleep (sometimes).

I wish Apple would fix these things quicker than they do. It took months to get the printer issue fixed with 7.2.1, and now we have the hard drive issue...

7. JimmyDThing thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure to be honest... when I got it I thought I had read that the firmware was actually good... so I just got all firmware found.

I won't have a chance to check on it until Sunday, unfortunately, when I go back home... but I'm assuming it came with 7.2.

Thanks for all your help.