More Airport Extreme issues. helped needed badly.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by torndownunit, Mar 23, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

I am starting a new thread for this because it doesn't seem to be the same issue I previously had. And it's causing me some major grief so I am desperate for help.

I have rogers cable, which runs from the modem into a Scientific Atlanta 2100 router, into the Airport Extreme base station. Internet works find if I plug straight into the computer (how I am posting now)

I had been having constant issues with dropped connections earlier in the month, which seemed to be resolved by reverting to older firmware. It had been performing fairly well.

Out of the blue, I lost my connection today and it wouldn't show up in the airport drop down at all . Which has happened in the past, so it's not that abnormal. I could not get the base station to show up in Airport Utility, and had to do a hard reset to get it to appear. This is the normal process when this occurs though. Usually I just reconfigure it at that point and it runs fine.

But now I can't seem to configure it at all. Every time I try either using 'manual setup' or just hitting 'continue', the utlility says "joining wireless network", which leads to an error. Or I see it "writing airport extreme configuration" which leads to an error, and the base station completely disappearing from the Utility which requires another reset to get it to show up.

What I can't understand is, if I have reset and am trying to create a new wireless network, why is it even attempting the processes mentioned above?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Have you tried contacting AppleCare? There are instances where the cause is a faulty device.

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Have you tried to set it up via an ethernet cable? I would try that then restore to factory defaults. If you are still having problems with it then call applecare.

4. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

Could you tell me a little bit more about this method? Or do you know of a link?

Thanks a lot.

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

Not sure what there is to explain about this method. You connect the computer to the Airport with an ethernet cable.