More and more people switch to Windows 7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Michal11, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Michal11 macrumors member

Hi guys,

did you realise that after Lion anouncement more and more people started to switch to Windows 7?

What do you think abou that? Is Mac Osx losing its charm and advantages and Windows 7 is basically better?

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Do you have any sources to back this claim up, or are you just pulling it out of your arse? ;)

3. rosschang macrumors member

I've got the same feeling...

personally I'm not upgrading. love spaces and they took it away.

I've a friend dealing with network/AD n stuff with lotsa mac desktop client. he said that lion broke quite a few things on the joining domain front. bunch of annoying bugs (or feature??)... and it's giving him hell. Now he's company is trying not to buy macs and/or not upgrade to Lion whenever possible, while reassessing the situation.

:(

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The latter.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Thought so. Macs are gaining ground in terms of market share, so Lion can't be that bad :rolleyes:

6. Damers, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Damers macrumors regular

He might be pulling the stat out of nowhere but mass consumer adoption/opinion does tend to lag behind product release, for the good and bad. Although I have no solid proof of this, it's just something I've noticed anecdotally. Apple has had major success in the past years which, IMO, has earned them the benefit of the doubt with the public. People, by people I mean the general public not the tech savvy people here, will continue to go to Lion for the next while, especially with the shiny new MacBook Air's release and now the 4s and iCloud. What will be interesting is apple's market share in the laptop/pc market say two or three years from now. Will the 'post-pc' rhetoric come true?

My point in all of this is consumer adoption doesn't always correlate to a quality product, just look at Jersey Shore.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Unless I've misunderstood your post, I think you'll find a large majority of the "tech savvy people" are, in fact, sticking with Snow Leopard because of it's incompatibility with Power PC Apps.

8. Damers macrumors regular

Oh, fail on my part. I meant the general public is likely to go ahead and get Lion whereas the tech savvy people will, at the very least, be aware of the changes *cough* shortcomings *cough* of Lion. I almost immediately regret making sweeping statements about consumer adoption and the polarisation of binning OS X users into general public and power users because it's so open to interpretation and opinion.

FWIW, in my grad department just about everyone hoped on the apple train in recent years, but no one is touching Lion since it was released. Their are so many legacy apps and programs that we use (physical sciences), that simply will never get re-written. Who wants to go through 100 k lines of hydrodynamic code and re-write the beast in cocoa? Not to mention that when we have multiple terminal windows open, just as many pdf's of recent papers, email, wikipedia (a grad students best friend), gunplot, matlab...etc, expose is an absolute lifesaver. Most of us are hoping that Apple might tweak Lion but we also know better. Some people are already looking to go back to Linux.

9. Hyper-X, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

- Editted to keep it short.

Apple wants you to believe that just because they sold millions of copies of Lion, that everyone's happily using it. In our company alone we have overwhelming statistics showing 4 out of 5 users that bought Lion on the App Store are currently shelving the OS until Apple fixes all the major bugs. We have our share of Windows hating folk and even they're reluctant to really say anything negative about W7.

Apple will never admit that most of their Lion customers/users are generally not happy with it. Look at the App Store's comments and you'll see how customer responses don't quite support Apple's claim that their users are happy with Lion.

10. mountains macrumors regular

You have a sample size of 5. I don't have a hard and fast number for the total number of OS X users, but let's just make a conservative guess and say there are around 200,000,000 PC users, 12% of those use OS X, and that's 24,000,000 (writing it out is more fun). You can't even begin to say anything accurate when you're looking at a non-random sample of 5 Mac users with a population size of 24,000,000.

11. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

He could also be saying 80% in a different way. For example, in the UK a leading brand of cat food used to say that 9 out of 10 cats preferred their brand over brand X. Somehow I doubt they just asked 10 cats ;)

Either way though, without an actual sample size, the data is meaningless.

12. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

My original post prior to the edit actually included more data. When I say 1 out of 5, that is 20% however my data is actually 18.6% which is less but I rounded it up to make it easier to understand. Our company globally supports approximately 1.5 million Mac users (total), about 800k are upgradeable to Lion. The rest are those which came with Lion preinstalled or machines which Lion does not support. The data only tracks machines that are registered to be on our network so guest and any other unauthorized machines are not tracked in the statistics.

So let's look at that 800,000 who can upgrade to Lion. 18.6% of 800,000 have bought Lion and are currently using it, which comes out to about 148,000. The rest of the 652,000 are shelving Lion at the moment because they can't use it until Apple fixes whatever it is they need to make it work properly.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I do have a couple of PPC apps that I miss. I'm hoping a third party (or even Apple) comes up with a Rosetta port that works under Lion but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

I have found apps crash more frequently under Lion than under SL. I do a "send report to Apple" almost daily.

Am I completely happy with Lion? No.
    Am I ready to roll back to SL? No.

Is Lion pushing users to Windows 7? I seriously doubt it. Windows 7 is better than XP or Vista but Windows is a mess compared to Linux or OS X Lion.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thats a big time arse pulled stat, i left windows 7 for a Mac with Lion

im enjoying my computing much more now, i think the average joe Windows user would like the simplicity of OSX if they had a chance to use it, and if the machines where cheaper for someone who only needs that $400 windows machine than many more people would leave PC for Mac

15. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

TBH I see no reason why anyone can't use either OS, Windows or OS X, however at some point people are going to start developing habits and preferences and that's when 1 product would seem to favor a user over another.

I've never heard of someone who was dissatisfied with Windows 7 that made them run to OS X. Nearly all that made the switch, when I got the chance to ask more questions were mostly upset at the machine they were using (could be a cheap enter_brand_name_and_model_here). I mean between using a cheap $500 Toshiba from Walmart and moving to a 15" MBP... not factoring in price, even I can vouche for going with the MBP.

I choose to use my MBP when I'm away from my office for 2 primary reasons, battery life's really good and it does what I need it to do. However when I'm at my desk at work or home, I'm almost always on my Elitebook or Thinkpads. When guests use my machines, even diehard Mac people, I can't seem to get them off of them, they find Windows 7 a very pleasant experience.

If you look around this forum as well, many people on Bootcamp will tell you that their MBP's or what not are the best Windows machines they've ever owned. I don't agree with that statement for myself but the numbers don't lie, a lot of W7 users on a Mac are quite happy which seems to support the notion that on decent hardware, Windows 7 is very good. If you could use OS X on some cheap non-Apple crap of a machine, it might lead you to think something's really wrong with OS X when in fact it's more about the hardware it's on.

16. Mattie Num Nums macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

I'd say Windows 7 and 10.7 are both on par with each other feature wise. Stability wise Windows 7 is far beyond 10.7.X as it stands currently. Give Apple a few months to work out the bugs.