More Apple Tablet Rumblings

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With increased interest in Apple across the web, rumors are distributed at a faster rate frequently without much attention paid to credibility or records.

The most recent is a blog entry claiming that an Apple Tablet is imminent and that prototypes have been sighted running "a reduced version of OSX, with some funky start-up PDA like Apple icon menu." This report has been reposted a number of places around the web.

Obviously, this is not the first time that the Apple Tablet rumor has surfaced, but does provide a good opportunity to recap recent tablet evidence.

This blog post claims that the Intel-Apple rumors are surrouding the use of an Intel processor for an upcoming Apple Tablet. Tablet rumors have been popular over the years with the demise of the Newton. Apple Tablet rumors hit a peak in early 2003 when several credible sources strongly hinted at the imminent release of a Mac-based Tablet design from Apple.

More recently, Apple's patent design application for a tablet computer reawoke the tablet rumors. One interesting observation, however, is that in the past, Apple has only applied/received design patents for current shipping devices. Suggesting that the Tablet may have been delayed from initial launch plans or indeed imminent.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Tablet!

Weird, wonder if an HD tablet is in the works. Ya know, scuff up a pretty HD screen with stylus scrawling...

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I would love to see an Apple designed tablet. I'm not exactly sure if I would buy one or even how well they would do but I would still like to see what Apple could do with one and the price range they would put it at.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'm still hoping for a tablet, but i'm not expecting one at all. hopefully Apple will surprise me one day :D

BlackLilyNinja

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2004
what I can't figure out is

why do they need to go to intel when a mac mini type unit could be reworked into a tablet. unless they are going to be inovating again.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Yeah those tablet PCs have become such a colossol hit! I mean you can't go anywhere without seeing one.

I hope Apple doesn't waste its money developing a tablet PC when there is so much work to be done on making good value, fast ibooks and powerbooks. Something they apparently no longer have an interest in.

wileypen

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
Daveway said:
The market for tablet is not yet big enough for Apple to enter it.
The market for hard drive based MP3 players was basically non-existent until Apple created it.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
While I have to wonder if a tablet would ever interest me I'd be more interested in the technology inside. People have been thinking about and speculating about Apples use of an Intel X86 processor. That is all well and good but if it was me and I was looking out side of the PPC family for a processor the ARM series would be the first to be considered. So the thought is that Apple is looking towards Intel for one or more of its ARM based processors.

As good as the Centrino family is it is still far to hungery for power to be used in anything that I'd want to call a tablet. That is a computer that is less than 3/8" thick. With one or more ARM processor in the machine they should be able to keep the profile very thing and passively cooled.

The whole idea of a tablet is interesting but there is a huge mountain of issues to over come not the least of which is human and electronic I/O. Electronic or data I/O can be solved with WiFi if they can get the power low enough. Human I/O is a bigger hill in my opinion and they ultimatly would need some sort of speech recognition.

Dave

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Macrumors said:
One interesting observation, however, is that in the past, Apple has only applied/received design patents for current shipping devices. Suggesting that the Tablet may have been delayed from initial launch plans or indeed imminent.
Hmm, wasn't there a patent for a mouse-like device with a scroll wheel that never saw the light of day?

ZeeG

macrumors member
May 24, 2005
In the System Preferences, try "option-click" of "Displays". (in Tiger)
Then you will see "Rotate" menu in there. You can rotate your screen orientation with it.
I believe this is an implication of coming Tablet Mac. Other than that, it is just an useless feature.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
I still think it's a remote, for either Airtunes or maybe a "media center" thing. The tablet market isn't big enough for a reason - they're rubbish. Admittedly Apple could do it better but I don't see why they would. The PDA market is dying, replaced by ever smarter phones so I don't think it's that either. Maybe a portable display for an iFlicks store? But the remote seems the most likely, like one of those Lutron things that populate high end home cinema systems.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
Veldek said:
Hmm, wasn't there a patent for a mouse-like device with a scroll wheel that never saw the light of day?
Most people think that patent was a smoke screen for the click wheel on the iPods. Even though the pictures show a mouse, reading the text exactly describes the control on the iPod mini and the newer full size models.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
ZeeG said:
In the System Preferences, try "option-click" of "Displays". (in Tiger)
Then you will see "Rotate" menu in there. You can rotate your screen orientation with it.
I believe this is an implication of coming Tablet Mac. Other than that, it is just an useless feature.
That's incredible!! I had no idea it was there. And once you do it, the Rotate menu disappears from the Displays screen. You have to navigate around fairly awkwardly because the trackpad DOES NOT CHANGE ORIENTATION!!! This is a sure sign of on-screen cursor control.... like on a TABLET!!!

WOW!!!!

StudioGuy

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2003
This at least makes more sense to me than making PowerMac's into x86 boxes, to make any sense out of the Apple-Intel thing.

But, I agree, another tablet thread.....