more apps than memory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Jun 19, 2008.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I was wondering if anyone can clarify for me

I can see myself buying lots of great apps, and eventually running out of space for them

will I be able to store all my purchased/downloaded apps on iTunes like the iPod games, and then load on only the ones I feel like using at the time?

it would be a pity to fill up the memory and then not be able to get new apps without giving up the ones you already paid for

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Yes - I mean, you can use iTunes to download the App in the first place. Also, we do know for fact is you can redownload any App you buy anytime you want (without buying it again).

3. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Oh sweet, I was wondering the same thing. So basically the apps will work like songs -- we can add and subtract them to our phone as often as we like? I was afraid once you removed an app, that would be it...

4. macduke Suspended

macduke

I wonder...

When you open iTunes, will it run an App Store update which will update all your apps to the current version or notify you if there is an update for a fee?

5. Project macrumors 68020

I doubt you will exceed the storage unless you jam pack it with music and video. Most apps are coming in at less than a MB, and even "big" apps will be less than the size of your average MP3.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm assuming the apps will work a lot like games for the 5G+ iPod. They'll probably get stored in the magical land of Narnia until you sync them. This is mere speculation (as is everything on the subject), but it seems to be the most likely case.

As someone else said, with a few exceptions, you probably won't find them totally clogging your iPhone. Games might take up a bit of space, but they won't be deep enough to take up hundreds of megabytes. All I know right now is those people who act like 16GB are gonna make me more sick when I start having to choose even more songs to keep off mah phone! Give me 128GB and I'd fill it up with something!!!

7. macduke Suspended

macduke

2gb if the file size limit for the app store. The only app I could see using that much space would be something like the Tom Tom app with all the maps it stores. While eating a lot of space, it would be kind of nice to not have to download all the maps on edge, since most areas of the US between cities use that.

I bet most games won't weigh in over 50mb, with a few exceptions. Most puzzle type or 2d games will be under 5mb's so you can download them over the air, which is limited to a 10mb max per title.

8. bmh16 macrumors regular

Most apps won't take up much space (apart from some of the games). I have about 4 pages of apps on my jailbroken iPod touch and don't take up more than 500mb. Some you would think would take up more space than they actually do.

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Don't forget about the possibility of Wikipedia making an offline database like the jailbreak version :D