Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

More BMW iPod Details...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Gizmodo claims to have more details about the upcoming BMW/iPod dock.

The iPod slips inside a dock in the glove box and controls are on the steering wheel, and they look to be pretty basic, with only an track up/track down selection and what looks to be a mute button

According to the site, the new BMW integrated dock will only be available for a limited number of BMW models without any current audio upgrades.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
reptilia said:
Now if only i could afford a BMW :p

Now, if only I could afford an iPod!

(The concept of affording a BMW seems so remote that I don't even think about it vary much...)

Comment

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Any guess on line extension timeframe?

I can't really think of any times when Apple has used this sort of business model in the past, but I can't imagine they would wait more than 6 months before making the hardware available for some sort of aftermarket upgrade -- possibly co-branded with Bose, Alpine, etc.

Comment

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
i've read a couple different things on this board about how this integrates. one said that you had to set up playlists & pick btw 5 playlists. now this says i'll have 'next/previous' controls. yeah, i guess this is cool for now.

any word on the display?? i would love for the head unit to display the track info. keeping the iPod in the glove box will let me play "name that tune" more often, but sometimes i really want to know what the heck i'm listening to! but, i wasn't really expecting the head unit display to integrate. for stereos that DO (alpine, denon), you would have to drop some bank on a new head unit which isn't ideal either. i've got a convertible (330CiC), so i don't need any more of a reason for someone to slit the top.

i'm sure i'll end up buying this gadget, whatever it turns out to be, so i'll post pics/reviews just as soon as i do... ;)

Comment

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
virividox said:
i wonder what models; maybe 5 series and above?

def in the M power series.

from what i've read, any Z4, 3Series, 5Serie, X3 and M Series w/ the steering wheel that looks like this:

which BMW calls the "multi-function steering wheel". it controls all the usual stuff: stereo/cd tracks, volume, cruise control, phone (as an add-on). so now it will control the iPod.

the 6, 7, X5, etc that have the iNav system will NOT be eligible for this adaptor b/c it's a totally different system.

Comment

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Other cars

Does anyone know anything about the Alpine Car Stereo solution? I heard Alpine were creating an interface so that people with their car stereos could use an iPod in the same way. My car stereo just got nicked so now would be a good time to get one of those... But I don't know if they exist yet! Anyone know any more?

thanks

:-Joe

Comment

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
The Alpine unit probably won't be out until the end of the year. I've heard September, but these things always seem to run a bit behind estimates.

Comment

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Thanks for letting me know - the only place where you can't find out anything about it is on Alpine's own website!

It looks like so long as I buy an AI-NET compatible stereo it'll work with the iPod add-on when it comes out, reckon that sounds about right? If so I may buy Alpine for future-proofing :)

:-Joe

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.