Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treysmay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
toronto, ontario, canada
I was just in a store called the 'Book store', a store founded by the university of toronto which has 80,000 plus students. the store also supplies to other schools in toronto Ontario, making it a computer vendor to 95,000 students+.
I just walked in to check out their gear 'tues aug 1st'. went to the back to look at the powermac g5, and they were having a huge sale. The dual 2.0 was 300 dollars off of the regular student price which is around 2,100.oo. and they had 5 powermac quads with 4 gigs of ram and hard-drive upgrade to 500 gb's for 3,999, wow!. So I asked the people at the front desk, 'do you have any dual 2.3's on sale, as I only wish I could afford the Quad' they replied "We are getting the Mac-pro's, apple told us we should expect it between next week and the middle of the month and cut our stock off. So, we are having an end of stock clearance" so I got into a conversation with the woman, who was obviously a computer science major, she also told me "while I was speaking with the apple rep, he said there would be a 32" ACD with eyesight; real soon!". but more importantly, I am actually sure of these mac pro's!!!!

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Nice find, but I don't believe the part about the cinema display so much. 32 inches is pretty close to impractical not to mention the fact that they shouldnt build in a consumer feature on a pro product. I would never want an iSight built into one of my cinema displays. If you can go back, ask them about bluray built in to the new mac pros :)

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
If they put an iSight into the ACD, it will be optional. How many places don't allow camera's. Lot's of businesses, the gov't, etc. 32" is a bit big and would require new top-of-the-line gpu's. The highest I've seen is 1900 by 1200, which is the 30" screen.

I also don't believe that Apple tells their resellers when new products will come out. They don't even tell their own retail employee's! I highly doubt the resellers.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
yankeefan24 said:
If they put an iSight into the ACD, it will be optional. How many places don't allow camera's. Lot's of businesses, the gov't, etc. 32" is a bit big and would require new top-of-the-line gpu's. The highest I've seen is 1900 by 1200, which is the 30" screen.

Apple will put it in eventually. Otherwise the iMac would have an advantage over the Mac Pro. I promise. Although, it mayyyyy be optional.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I can't believe an Apple rep. would just tell someone the Mac Pro is coming out next week... so much for secrecy. We knew it was coming anyway.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Jopling said:
Nice find, but I don't believe the part about the cinema display so much. 32 inches is pretty close to impractical not to mention the fact that they shouldnt build in a consumer feature on a pro product. I would never want an iSight built into one of my cinema displays. If you can go back, ask them about bluray built in to the new mac pros :)

They put an iSight on the Macbook Pro so why not the Pro displays?

yankeefan24 said:

I also don't believe that Apple tells their resellers when new products will come out. They don't even tell their own retail employee's! I highly doubt the resellers.

the iSight is not optional on any other model right now so I don't think there is any guarantee it will be optional on the ACDs. I know a lot of places do not allow cameras but that didn't stop Apple on the iMacs, Macbook, or Macbook Pro did it?

32" is big, but as professionals demand higher resolution displays the size must go up. At 32" Apple may have a vertical resolution over 2000 Pixels which would natively display 4K Video (Cinema Quality). And the current 30"ers run 2560x1600, I think you are confused with the 23" which runs 1920x1200.

I agree Apple is unlikely to tell anyone in retail about future plans, but the introduction of the Mac Pro is pretty obvious so who knows!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.