More data migration/fusion questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bollweevil, Nov 13, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I am migrating from a PC to a new MacBook Pro, and this is a sequel to a prior thread which I am discontinuing. I will use an external drive to do the migration and I will have VMware Fusion on the Mac.

What should I do?

1. Copy as much stuff as possible from the PC onto the external drive, then paste it onto the Mac. This doesn't necessarily create an absolutely complete copy, because some files are locked and uncopyable by Windows.

2. Create a Retrospect backup of the PC on the external drive, then in Fusion on the Mac, restore from that backup. This is guaranteed to get every file. Ideally, it would sort of "clone" the PC onto the Mac.

3. Is there some way to really directly clone the PC onto the Mac? Is there some way to keep the old PC and the new virtual-machine PC inside the Mac synced? That would be awesome. That would require some kind of machine-cloning-and-syncing software that I am presently unaware of.

4. Restore from a Retrospect backup into the windows virtual machine, but then immediately move everything into the Mac file system.

I think option 4 may be the best non-hypothetical option, because it is sure to get every file AND it makes everything searchable by Spotlight. Things in the Windows file system of VMware Fusion aren't searchable by Spotlight, are they?

Thanks.

Also of note: I was told that external drives wouldn't work because the Mac can't read an NTFS external drive, the PC can't read an HFS Plus external drive, and a FAT32 external drive couldn't hold my largest files. But I tried it anyways, and it worked fine. Crazy stupid friends of mine giving me advice - I should only trust the faceless strangers on the internet, clearly.

2. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

I have discovered a new option:

5. Use the "duplicate" function in Retrospect, it is exactly the same as "copy" and "paste" except that it doesn't croak if it comes across a file that is currently in use.