Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TUAW got in touch with an AT&T spokesperson and has put together an extensive Q&A clarifying some of the details of the carrier's upcoming changes to its iPhone and iPad data plans. Among the topics addressed:

- AT&T will continue to offer the $14.99 250/MB data plan for the iPad. It will not be reduced to the 200 MB cap the carrier will be offering on its cheaper smartphone plan.

- iPad users reaching their 2 GB limit under the forthcoming plan will be able to initiate a new monthly cycle on demand with a new start date. This would appear to make the iPad plan more of a "2 GB or 30 days, whichever comes first" cycle than a "30 days with 2 GB cap plus overage fees" cycle, with the exception being that users will have to manually initiate a new cycle should they reach their 2 GB cap before the end of the billing cycle.

- iPhone users can bump up from the $15 200 MB data plan to the $25 2 GB plan without penalty as long as they initiate the change before the end of the desired billing cycle. This will allow users on the lower tier to simply bump up to the $25 plan as needed rather than having to pay $15 per additional 200 MB over the initial 200 MB limit. Users can then bump themselves back down for their next billing cycle. It is unclear at this time whether users on the higher tier will be able to drop down to the lower tier mid-cycle if they see that their data usage will be low for that period.

- Original iPhone users still on 2G plans are unaffected by the new plan changes, although AT&T has indicated on its Facebook page that those customers will continue to be able to upgrade to the current $30 unlimited data plan even after it is officially discontinued and the new plans are rolled out.

170355-att_original_iphone_unlimited.jpg

- iPhone customers upgrading their handsets and signing new contracts will be able to continue on their existing unlimited plans. The representative noted, however, that AT&T may offer "new desirable plans" alongside the next-generation iPhone, although the comment appears to be more of general statement than a specific disclosure of the company's plans.

Article Link: More Details on AT&T's Data Plan Changes for iPhone and iPad

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I don't know. If it improves my voice service i'm all for it in spite of everything else.

Whatever.

It does seem like decent plans though. It would have been a bit better if they had implemented this from the start, instead of this jerk around.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
I wonder if this is a ploy to get people to buy up whats left of the iPhones and get the $30 unlimited as opposed to waiting and only getting 2GB plan. Pretty smart.

WickedRabbit

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Just keep in mind that you're on grandfathered in or can use that plan as long as you don't want tethering. If you add tethering, you'll have to switch your plan to the new ones.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
So they are just detailing how they are going to rip us 3G iPad owners off.

The one bright side here is that based on this little move pretty much as confirmed to me that they have lost iPhone exclusivity. As soon as the Verizon iPhone come out, I'm out.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
So they are just detailing how they are going to rip us 3G iPad owners off.

The one bright side here is that based on this little move pretty much as confirmed to me that they have lost iPhone exclusivity. As soon as the Verizon iPhone come out, I'm out.

How are they ripping you off exactly?

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
Meh, when will they offer a voice plan for less than $40/month? And when will they have nationwide 3G/4G coverage?

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
How are they ripping you off exactly?

That should be pretty obvious. The $30/month fee for the iPad that was supposed to be 'unlimited' is now, after only one month, being limited to 2GB. That's a bait-and-switch if I've ever heard one. I've never come close to approaching that much bandwidth on my cell, but with my iPad, I was up there easily in my first month. A few movies and some heavy surfing and it's not difficult to reach those numbers.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
they're charging more than they used to for unlimited. and fully taking away the option of having unlimited too!

I think

No, the unlimited plan was $5 more than the new highest 2 GB plan. If you go over that, yes, I suppose it could be more expensive.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

GoodWrites

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
Washington, DC Metro
Capitalism as it should be!

We are so drunk on entitlements in this country that we forget that AT&T os a FOR PROFIT company. Furthermore, if we want them to have the money to upgrade the network and roll-out new technologies (i.e. 4G), they MUST make profits. They said that 98% of AT&T customers do not even use 250 Mb.

Buy it or don't. But deal with it and stop complaining!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.